Does film speed matter if I'm using a Sealife Reefmaster RC camera? (-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

film speed still matters ...

Higher speed film will work better in low light conditions ...

If you use a strobe, then the higher speed film will allow a faster shutter since it's sometimes hard to hold a camera still underwater.

I'm sure that there are folks here that could go into WAY more detail, but that should work well to get you started as a novice/amateur photographer :)

Just remember, higher speed will also mean a grainier picture, especially if you plan on enlarging the prints.

Yes film speed matters, a lower film speed should not matter if you are using strobes the strobes will freeze the shot for you even if you are on a slow shutter speed. Also the higher the film speed the more grain you will get in your shot

I upgraded to digital but,

When I used my reefmaster with 100 or 200 my pics were much better than with 400. less backskatter etc.

IslandHopper:
Both ...

High Speed film will "see" the backscatter better than low speed film (at a given ambient light and shutter speed)
I would have thuoght that given both exposures (HIGH & LOW SPEED ) were correct then the amount of backscatter would be the same, If this is not so could you explain why.
David

"High speed" film is called that because it exposes quicker ...

So it will pick up the relatively dim backscatter particles more easily than low-speed film. However, it will also give better exposure of the desired subject when lighting is dim... such as a distance reefscape shot, where even a strobe isn't much help.

Does that help ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom