Does everyone hate Scuba Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...yada, yada, blah, blah, blah in a post almost as long as my usual posts (which is rare as I tend to do to posts what Kevin Costner does to movies) to sucessfully make the point you really do not like Scubapro.

I don't really have a response other than that you seem to make the point that some people have an almost vitriolic hatred of Scubapro. It takes all kinds to make a world and I guess that kind of diversity keeps other companies in business.

That said I have owned Scubapro regs, Aqualung regs, Sherwood/Genesis regs, Dacor regs, Tusa regs, Poseiden regs and a few other lesser brands over the years and Sp regs seem to be the ones I use and am never without. They are also the regs I keep over time as they are pretty timeless designs that can be serviced almost anywhere.

I like them, I'm sorry you don't.
I like their regulators, as I've often said. But ... I think their marketing scheme more resembles a cult than a business. It has been a fraud since the earliest days of the NASDS/ScubaPro/Bailey fraud that was perpetrated under the California Fair Trade Laws (and found to be illegal) and has continued in the same vein to this day, in my opinion staying just barely on the legal side of restraint of trade. I think it's wrong, I think it's immoral and I will not support it with my purchases when there are equal or superior alternatives available at lower prices.

It's very simple. All they need to do is request us to be included there.

So far, they haven't done so.

And I would be surprised if they did. They don't respond to direct email, and will reluctantly answer the phone. I believe they are still trying to funnel all information exchange through the authorized dealers. They kind of remind me of Harley-Davidson (another brand I love despite price). We often say about H-D: "100 years of history unencumbered by progress". Eventually, they will have to embrace the new technology, and ways of doing business. Their only saving grace, IMHO, is the quality of their product. But as others gain in that area, the gap may become narrow enough that convenience and price will outweigh any perceived value.

To all the loyal ScubaPro owners who took the time to write: How many of you have owned other "top of the line" gear?"

I have for one. I have and still own, ScubaPro, Apeks, Tekna, Sherwood, Oceanic and Dacor. Various pieces at various times. I am also a service tech for them, at least the ones still around. Will they all work, absolutely. Do I trust them, yep. Are all the warranties the same. Nope and it shows when I have to contact the reps about a problem or question about one. I get more and quicker support from ScubaPro than anyone else. I do service some 15 year old SP regs that are treated very irresponsibly, but they are still under warranty.

Does that matter to you. Not in the least and I'm not about to try and tell you that your philosiphy in replacing your reg every few years is wrong. I treat my regs like I do my cars. Take care of it, and use it til it wears out, and I'm still driving a 14 year old Plymouth. That's just my take on it.

I drive a 41 year old 280Z and an 11 year old Explorer, but both those make (made?) some kind of sense. A regulator is hardly the same thing and if you are "in the industry" your equation is quite different from the general public. So different, given keyman arrangements and such, that, if in fact you are diving old regs, I'd have to wonder about either your sanity or your motivation.

Last edited:
I have firehawk bc which is a back inflate and the only thing that I don't like is the fighting my face going forward when on the surface but other that that it is taking alot of abuse. the face forward might just be me because of my being fairly new to the sport

I think some of what you are seeing is the when a diver has a good dive shop to act as their dealer, they enjoy the ScubaPro products they buy. When a diver has a poor dive shop as their local SP dealer, the experience is different. SP sees dive shops, not divers, as their primary customers.

The problem some people have with SP is that they do everything in their power to lock the real customers (divers) into dealing with their local shop. When the local shop is a good one, things go well. When the local shop sucks, you don't have a lot of options (ie. you're screwed).

I think some of what you are seeing is the when a diver has a good dive shop to act as their dealer, they enjoy the ScubaPro products they buy. When a diver has a poor dive shop as their local SP dealer, the experience is different. SP sees dive shops, not divers, as their primary customers.

The problem some people have with SP is that they do everything in their power to lock the real customers (divers) into dealing with their local shop. When the local shop is a good one, things go well. When the local shop sucks, you don't have a lot of options (ie. you're screwed).
That's a good observation. But even when the local shop is a good one and you enjoy the experience, your still getting screwed ... just with more style.

I have firehawk bc which is a back inflate and the only thing that I don't like is the fighting my face going forward when on the surface but other that that it is taking alot of abuse. the face forward might just be me because of my being fairly new to the sport

That is normal with a back inflate BC, try putting some trim weight on the tank, or if you bc has trim pockets in the back. It should help the the natural leaning of back inflates.

Come and see the sights. Lake Mary Florida, home of golf professionals and other rich guys has a Scubapro dealer. The owner says he is like the BMW or Mercedes dealer. Down in Palm Beach County, there is a SP dealer in Jupiter, two miles from Tiger's house. You all knows he dives. That county has several Scubapro dealers. One dealer, not SP, looks like a gift boutique.

These are places where the price isn't marked on the gear. Their clients don't shop for price, anyway. I buy air and Nitrox from these guys, and they are always nice to me.

Stu.
Where in Lake Mary? I live in Altamonte Springs, right by the mall.

Back
Top Bottom