Does DIR feel your drysuit should fit slightly small? Or slightly big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
Some of you have taken DIR training..... and have had the honor of DIR instructors critiquing your gear. I am just curious if the instructors like the suits to be loose or more on the tight fitting side?

Anyone know first hand?

Thanks.

I suspect you may be asking this because DUI offers a "cave cut" suit?
Those particular suits are cut trimmer to reduce drag for scootering. Drag increases exponentially as speed increases; the faster you go the more critical it becomes to have a hydrodynamic suit.
At slower [swimming] speeds it's important to minimize drag, but not as crucial as it is for zipping along with a scooter.
In all cases it is imperative to maintain enough flexability to maintain a full range of motion in order to reach all your valves, etc. but not to have a ton of extra suit material.

Don't dive a bag girth-wise.

But you need enough length-wise to be flexible.

And sleeves a little bit long to allow for reaching back to valves.

Thanks for the info......

I have a suit I am buying that fits just a tad on the small side.

Girth is good.... but the length is a tad on the short/small side.
I have very good range of motion though. No problems at all reaching my valves. Just not a great deal of flex in the legs/knees due to being just a tad short. The crotch is slightly low.

Was hoping to hear that a suit a little on the small side was ideal.
In the eyes of the DIR..... making THAT the perfect fit.

BlueDolphin once bubbled...
Thanks for the info......

Girth is good.... but the length is a tad on the short/small side.
I have very good range of motion though. No problems at all reaching my valves. Just not a great deal of flex in the legs/knees due to being just a tad short. The crotch is slightly low.

In the eyes of the DIR..... making THAT the perfect fit.

Sounds like another perfect DIR inducty, unable to decide for themselves what works best for them, found a suit that doesn't quite fit, is to small but wants to buy it because its a good deal. so he will live with the imperfections as long as it is DIR approved, he really is hoping it is because he would save some money by buying a suit that doesn't fir comfortable. but if he could say "it's DIR" then it would somehow be right for him.

or he could just get a suit that fits him properly, that is not to long in the crotch and to tight in the legs.

I once took some courses in human behavior, I propose an experiment. GI3 announces that only pink gear is DIR. it would be fun to watch the total evolution of thinking, and watch people convince themselves that pink is better

BlueDolphin once bubbled...

...sounds like it might be a done deal.

But that too~small~suit will squeeze down and you will lose what flexibility you have out of the water... and so you will need to add more suit gas than is optimal to try to get your range of motion back.... and then you will be diving the bubble.

Any chance you could get a suit that fits?

Yeah, heaven forbid he ask if DIR might have a reason that's not immediately obvious to him, but might be quite provident.

:rolleyes:

How obvious was putting the long hose on the right post to you again?

metridium once bubbled...
Yeah, heaven forbid he ask if DIR might have a reason that's not immediately obvious to him, but might be quite provident.

:rolleyes:

How obvious was putting the long hose on the right post to you again?

I don't mind DIR, I just jump in when someone ask is it DIR and then i will accept an improper fit. it was just so obviouse that he described a suit that didn't fit him correctly but would accept it if it was DIR. that is the part i find worthy of commenting on. blind acceptence of anything that supports your life without knowing the background as to why it is that way. simply doing something because of its label

as for my hose discution. I entered into a descution about the way i did my gear, and when i said i had my long hose on the left post, several good reasons where pointed out why it should be on the other...i then stated why i had it on the left, and it went back and forth.....their good reasons made more since than mine [all be it, just in a cave. but i like standardisation] and so i have switched it to the right post.......yes this happend to be the DIR way, but i would not change it just because of that. i like to know the why behind it......and some things that also happen to be the DIR way i do not believe are practical so i have not changed them.......i am not opposed to DIR nor am i for it...i take from all information provoded and apply......it just doesn't make since to me to say what if I asked "i hope this is DIR because it is what i can afford, or have allready bought it. it doesn't quite fit right. but if you say it is DIR then i can justify the discomfort"

I will say one good thing about the whole DIR philosophy.
It is a good packaged progam for someone who wants to be a tech diver. they just need to go to the store and ask for a DIR rig. everything you need comes ina neat little package ready to go. and it will work. nothing wrong with that at all.

they should do the same thing with backpacking. say you want to go on a week long backpacking trip. you could just drop by EE and buy a pack, it would come with everything inside that you need to complete the trip. it would be a good package because there would be no descitions that you would need to make, no research, no trail and error.....nothing wrong with that.

Just not a great deal of flex in the legs/knees...
Are you doing a nice deep knee bend, bending over at the waist & rolling up into a little ball?
You should be able to do that easily in a proper fitting suit.
Buy right & you cry only once, it ain't a deal once you realize you have to get another one.
:mean:

Which post are you running your long hose off of again?

Back
Top Bottom