Does CSSP have the best visability in North Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After our trip this weekend, my daughter was a little shaken by the low visability in some spots at CSSP. Is there another local place I could take her that generally has better visability until she gets more comfortable? Athens? Scuba Point at PK? How about any large pools that we could practice a while in? Thanks.

Jarrett,
CSSP has probably the best vis in the area. I find that vis is generally better on, what I call the east side of CSSP, because the classes have it stirred up around the shark, the boat and the platforms. I have been to PK and Lake Whitney and the vis has always been poor.

Not sure what part of the Metroplex you are in, but you might check with some area schools that have a natatorium. Many times they will have swimming times for the public and might let you practice in the pool.

Athens can have much better visibility.

If... it hasn't rained in about two weeks and the wind isn't howling. Classes muck up the vis, but avoid the platforms and the plane and you can get out of the clouds.

Forget PK. The pool at BDS is inexpensive, but you need to schedule time. During the weekends can be a challenge.

TwoBit

For underwater clarity in Texas (anywhere), the Valhalla Missile Silo near Abilene can't be beat. Of course, you can only see as far as the walls of the tube, and straight down of course...

Jarrett:
After our trip this weekend, my daughter was a little shaken by the low visability in some spots at CSSP. Is there another local place I could take her that generally has better visability until she gets more comfortable? Athens? Scuba Point at PK? How about any large pools that we could practice a while in? Thanks.

I was at CSSP this Sunday and I thought the vis was pretty good, but we got there late Sunday afternoon, had to wait out a rain storm, then finally got in the water around 4 PM.

Forget Athens right now, I was there 2 weekends ago and the vis was about 1 foot. Not fun.

Blue Dolphin Plano has a nice pool, good folks there!

Hmmm…looks like we need some volunteers to help the little girl out on the little limited vis. thing.

I just went about it the wrong way Sunday I think. We followed my brother underwater from one of the entry points. Down at about 30 feet it got so cloudy we couldn't see him in front of us and we got separately. At that point, she kinda got freaked out and we surfaced faster than we should. That kinda started a up and down thing which I am now finding out can be dangerous.

The last dive of the day, we stayed at one of the underwater platforms for about 50 minutes or so. She enjoyed that, but is hesitant to go back now. I thought maybe if I could back up a bit and find some clearer water, like a big pool or something, we could work our way back up.

TwoBit, what is BDS? Thanks.

There's no real reason to go 30 feet in CSSP since that's about where it gets cold and cloudy. Hanging by the docks is just fine, as is hanging at 10 to 20 feet at one of the walls. Or hang around the DC10.

People sometimes feel claustrophobic in low viz and the moving particulate in the water can make it seem like you are moving and hard to tell if you are ascending or descending. Keeping a known object in sight can help her stay oriented.

You gotta get her back out there ASAP since time will only entrench her resistance.

Watch your ascent rates. Follow your computer, it was probably screaming at you.

And once again, you can get familiar with your gear in your living room.

Jarrett,
Go on a weekday! The vis deteriorates at CSSP on weekends. Fridays are a good day, because there are usually a few Swampdivers there. Also, this is probably the lowest vis time of year at CSSP, although it wasn't too bad 2-3 wks ago. Last spring we had 30-45' just about every weekend, it was awesome. I suspect that it will clear up more in Sept-Oct. I don't blame her for being freaked out, it's not really very much fun when you can't see anything, especially if you're a new diver- makes it hard to relax and enjoy the scenery when there isn't any...
Foo

Back
Top Bottom