Does body position effect deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious, Is there Any empirical evidence that body position has an effect on deco.
Some hold that horizontal Must be the way, and have a lot of "theories" why.

Much commerial/military stuff is vertical on a lift in the water and horizontal in a chamber. The chamber is horizontal for an obvious reason, the height of the vessel.

But Does it Really matter?

jonnythan:
CIB, I can guess at your motivation for this, especially with the thinly veiled acronym in your last line.

I wasn't, I'm truely curious if anyone has some Evidence.

I had no Idea what you meant - "especially with the thinly veiled acronym in your last line." - I had to go back and reread the post. :11: Fruedian slip maybe , I just meant I was asking for real scientific evidence not the 'well this person says so' anadotal type.

I check a few old threads ( from ~ 2002 ) before posting, nothing but speculation there. Things change though.

Cool.

Just to throw my two cents in here, there are other good reasons for doing stops horizontally besides any potential off-gassing benefit. Easier to move laterally, you are already in position to create maximum vertical drag to ascend slowly and control the ascent, and it's just comfy.

jonnythan:
Easier to move laterally, you are already in position to create maximum vertical drag to ascend slowly and control the ascent, and it's just comfy.

but it's not easier to keep a 360 deg view of the surface, I don't find much of a comfort difference either - well, it's Most comfortable to just sit on a ledge :D

There are no statistically and procedurally relevant studies showing the efficacy of one body position over another in terms of decompression performance.

Off-gassing efficiency is a function of total inert gas loading, time, effective perfusion, pressure ratio between dissolved gas/bubbles and ambient, and last but not least, the gradient between the amount of inspired inert gas versus the inert gas in the body (again solution or bubble).

In my DMT studies at UTMB, all of the above factors were mentioned and discussed. Body position, EXCEPT for any position that would cramp muscles and affect blood flow, was not considered significant.

Rob

Personally I prefer to decompress horizontally, and to make my final ascent somewhat vertical - I find that safer around boats.
To each his own...
Rick

CIBDiving:
but it's not easier to keep a 360 deg view of the surface, I don't find much of a comfort difference either - well, it's Most comfortable to just sit on a ledge :D

Roll yourself over and do the stops while supine. How's that for comfort? :D

SeanQ:
Roll yourself over and do the stops while supine. How's that for comfort? :D
If there's room to do so You Bet! I love to just lay there and watch the bubbles rise.
I place I dive localy is a shore dive and has a nice gravel bottom at 20 ft. I enjoy laying there and watching the silver salmon attack my bubbles. they seem to like the medium sized ones, and seemed almost shocked at not getting anything except smaller bubbles :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom