Does being a dive buddy expose you to liability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter and Alex, well-summarized.

Regarding common v. civil law, it's absolutely correct that the particular duty will still depend on the jurisdiction at hand (and any potential choice-of-law questions); the only point worth clarifying is that civil law and a civil case are apples and oranges.

I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this one.

The OP asked about the liability of a "buddy" -- NOT a stranger. The Good Samaritan laws are all about the duties/liabilities of strangers and so have no relationship whatsoever with the OP's question.

No they don't just pertain to strangers. They refer to anyone who isn't paid to do it and who isn't acting in that capacity at that moment.

The SOLE ISSUE is "What is the duty of care owed by one 'buddy' to the other 'buddy.'" As someone else wrote, there isn't a lot of good law on the subject.

The SOLE ISSUE is "What is the LEGAL duty of care owed by one 'buddy' to the other 'buddy' and what legal ramifications will there be by not providing said care?". We aren't talking about what is right or social responsibilites, we are talking about what is legal and what are the legal responsibilities. There isn't a lot of good law on the subject of whether or not one person who goes out in public with a cold can be held liable for giving other people the cold. It isn't because there is a lot of gray area there, it is because no lawyer will touch it because the odds of winning are nil.

It would appear, that just being alive may result in some sort of inccured liability these days.

Unfortunately, almost anything can be twisted into a lawsuit.

Oscar

Good Samaritan: Someone who voluntarily helps someone else who is in distress.
Good Samaritan definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms

Such laws do not constitute a duty to rescue, such as exists in the civil law
General guidelines
  1. Unless a caretaker relationship (such as a parent-child or doctor-patient relationship) exists prior to the illness or injury, or the "Good Samaritan" is responsible for the existence of the illness or injury, no person is required to give aid of any sort to a victim.
  2. Any first aid provided must not be in exchange for any reward or financial compensation. As a result; medical professionals are typically not protected by Good Samaritan laws when performing first aid in connection with their employment.
  3. If aid begins, the responder must not leave the scene until:
    • It is necessary in order to call for needed medical assistance.
    • Somebody of equal or higher ability can take over.
    • Continuing to give aid is unsafe (this can be as simple as a lack of adequate protection against potential diseases, such as vinyl, latex, or nitrile gloves to protect against blood-borne pathogens) — a responder can never be forced to put himself or herself in danger to aid another person.
  4. The responder is not legally liable for the death, disfigurement or disability of the victim as long as the responder acted rationally, in good faith, and in accordance with his level of training.
Good Samaritan law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(a) a person who in good faith administers emergency care at the scene of an emergency or in a hospital is not liable in civil damages for an act performed during the emergency unless the act is wilfully or wantonly negligent.
(b) This section does not apply for care administered: (1) for of in expectation of remuneration; (2) by a person who was at the scene of the emergency because he or a person he represents as an agent was soliciting business or seeking to perform a service for remuneration; (3) by a person who regularly administers emergency care in a hospital or emergency room; or (4) by an admitting physician or a treating physician associated by the admitting physician of a patient bringing a health-care liability claim.

Texas

Nowhere does it say they have to be a stranger, and in fact it states the opposite many times. It pertains to those who aren't in the employ as a First Responder and nothing else. Don't argue with me - I'll get all factual on you.

Yes, you are definitely liable but not under any Good Samaritan laws, but rather under negligent homicide laws. Your ACTION of backing away is a contributing factor to his death and, yes, you are definitely responsible at that point.

Ok, well with that reference to "negligent homicide," I'm just going to say I still remember my MPC and majority law, and at this point all I can do is agree to disagree.

But let me leave with this: If we're ever buddied together, I get the feeling you wouldn't hesitate to help if I were in trouble, and I'd like to think I wouldn't hesitate to do the same if the tables were turned. As someone else just said, the thought of legal duties and consequences aren't something that would cross my mind in an emergency.

Safe diving.

To anyone who believes that a dive buddy is liable, I ask one thing - show me where, once, ever in the US, a dive buddy has been successfully sued.

Read the Rasmussen case I cited earlier. Rasmussen identifies at least one duty of care owed by a buddy. Where a duty exists, liability may follow if that duty is breached and an injury is caused by such breach. That's the nickel definition of "negligence" that U.S. courts have been using for a couple of centuries.

In Rasmussen, the court held that the buddy (a) had a duty to perform an equipment check, and (b) breached that duty by not performing a check of his own equipment that would have revealed that his LPI hose was not connected to his BCD. The court did not find the survivor liable only because it determined that his defective equipment check was not sufficiently related to his buddy's death (i.e. the proximate cause of his buddy's death) to impose liability under the circumstances. So we see that at least one court has determined that an equipment check is part of the duty of care owed to a buddy. There may be other items on that checklist, but those items have not been fleshed out in reported opinions. "Success" in a lawsuit does not necessarily mean one person won or did not. I took a case to the Supreme Court that resulted in our favorable Court of Appeals opinion being reversed, but we deemed that "loss" a success because the Supreme Court's opinion clarified a disputed area of the law, and on remand we had the benefit of a Supreme Court opinion telling the trial court how it had to rule (an interpretation of a portion of the statute did not exist before our case). In Rasmussen, the Plaintiff's attorneys won a major victory--they got a court to begin defining the duty of care a diver owes--in a relatively unexplored area. They just had bad facts for getting a money judgment.

My prediction is that Rasmussen will ultimately be the chink in the armor the plaintiff's bar will exploit. All you need is one good ruling, and other courts start to fall in line. I don't believe that will be a good thing for the sport, and we may in fact see "scuba buddy" insurance offered at some future point.

There also appears to be confusion over the "common law" and statutory law. Unless modified by statute (a law enacted by a state legislature), the "common law" governs torts (injuries) in the U.S. Indeed, every state in the United States has, someplace in its statute books, a little section that says something to the effect of: "except as expressly modified by statute, the common law is adopted." Florida's version, for example, states: "The common and statute laws of England which are of a general and not a local nature, with the exception hereinafter mentioned, down to the 4th day of July, 1776, are declared to be of force in this state; provided, the said statutes and common law be not inconsistent with the Constitution and laws of the United States and the acts of the Legislature of this state." See Fla.Stat.Ann. §2.01. It is passing rare for negligence to be legislated; most states defer to the common law definition. Even Florida, which has a chapter entitled "Negligence" in its statutes (Chapter 768), does not appear to abrogate the common law definition of negligence or the general principles embodied therein.

The general rules cited by the attorneys in this thread (including myself) arise out of the common law. However, local statutes may modify or trump those rules. For example, Florida has a broad "Good Samaritan" statute at Fla.Stat. 768.13 which shields a rescuer from liability in the event that injury is caused by a rescuer who acts reasonably and prudently under the circumstances, i.e. non-negligently, if the victim does not object to aid. This is wonderful news for people in Florida (actually, I'm not sure it is wonderful news, because it appears the victim can still claim negligence and circumvent the law). But that law doesn't amount to a hill of beans outside of Florida. In Arizona, where I practice law, the "Good Samaritan law" is much narrower in scope and does not provide the broad coverage that Florida's law provides.

Which puts us back at the general answers: (1) in general, there is no duty to rescue; (2) once a bystander chooses to act, the bystander assumes a duty of care; (3) if the bystander breaches that duty of care and by the breach causes injury, liability may follow; and (4) local laws may attentuate or affect liability. For specifics, one must consult local laws; one may not assume that the law in one state will apply in another state.

I guess one of the occupational hazards of being a lawyer is that everybody thinks they can do it. If it's any consolation, we have quite a few amateur physicians on the ScubaBoard as well. When it's time to go to court, or go for gall bladder removal, we can only hope that they defer to an expert. My thanks to all of the lawyers who weighed in on the question.

<< I guess one of the occupational hazards of being a lawyer is that everybody thinks they can do it. If it's any consolation, we have quite a few amateur physicians on the ScubaBoard as well. >>

Look on the bright side - it's always easy to strike up a conversation during the surface interval ...

<< Does anyone have more info as to which areas are common law based jurisdictions and which are civil law based? Many former British colonies (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) use common law-based systems, but I don't think that's universal. Anyone? >>

British common law will prevail in: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, S. Africa, Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago, BVI, Cayman Is., Montserrat, St. Kitts & Nevis, Bermuda, Turks & Caicos Is., Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, St. Lucia, Grenada, St. Vincent & the Grenadines ... Whew ... I'm running out of steam but I am sure there are several more.

The Napoleonic Code & its derivatives (i.e., French "civil law") will apply in Martinique, Guadaloupe, Quebec, Haiti, and a few I've forgotten.

Local statutes can, of course, alter this but in most cases there will be little if any change, and nothing relevant to this discussion.

OTOH, the differences in the "legal culture" may be vast. To compare, for example, the Cayman Is. with the USA, consider this:

- in the Cayman Is. all trials of this type are before a judge without a jury
- we don't allow contingent fee arrangements here; the plaintiff's lawyer will probably want to be paid in advance (!)
- if the plaintiff loses, he/she will have to pay the defendant's court costs
- if the plaintiff resides out side the Cayman Is., the court may require the plaintiff to post security for the defendant's court fees before proceeding (!)

Are you starting to see why tort cases are infrequent here? The law is similar to the US, but the "legal culture" is in another galaxy.

Back
Top Bottom