Does Atomic Z2/Z2x squeal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm still looking for a reg to replace my old Oceanic Delta 2 which has a slow leak at the first stage again, and I'm tired of getting this fixed.

I was going to get the Atomic B2 but reports of squealing have made we weary as noise drives me insane. So now I'm considering ST1, M1 or the Z2/Z2X.

Anyone have reports of any of these squealing?

Adam

Do you mean underwater?

My ST -1 brays like a jackass out of water, but U/W it's as quiet as any.

Do you mean underwater?

My ST -1 brays like a jackass out of water, but U/W it's as quiet as any.

I see, it would be nice if the thing kept quiet out of water as well, but my real concern is underwater.

Any problems with the ST1 DIN used with the yoke adapter. Also how do these breathe upside down (purge up)?

Adam

I have had my B2 "zing" once - it was after a factory overhaul, and I heard it for only ~15 dives after the overhaul, after which it stopped. The "zing" would be heard at depths below 30' when making a hard inhalation, otherwise, I wouldn't hear it.

...It's worth noting that my B2 is ~7 years old, and been in for factory overhaul 3 times, or, once every two years. BTW, the factory overhaul is superb - it costs $110, and comes back looking and breathing exactly like new, with lots of new parts.

I've been told by, by a factory regulator tech, that the "zing" on inhalation is caused by a razor-sharp edge on the piston. In fact my piston was replaced on the overhaul where I heard "zings"; the noise stopped after the piston had been worked in the seat for some dives.

Come to think, I have heard the same sound on other makes of piston regulators, when new or overhauled, so I don't really think it's just an Atomic thing.

The T2, B2, Z2, ST1, and M1 are all dimensionally identical inside (this is why the Z2 is such a bargain, it breathes the same, at a lower cost), so it's possible that a sharp piston would cause the same sound for a few dives. I own a B2, 3 Z2's, and 2 M1's, and none have made this noise (excepting the one overhaul).

If someone told me that I would have a faint "zing" noise when breathing this reg, for a dozen dives, I would still buy it - the performance is worth it! And my experience has been that it really is rare to make the sound, anyway.

Hope this helps.

All the best, James

I have tested a tested the Z2 in a pool and own 2 M1's the Z2 i tested in the pool above water did make a slight humm sound above water but once below it was quiet. Also one of my M1's above the water will make the humm sound on exhale but same thing once below the water there is nothing and it works perfect. at first it's a little annoying and for mine it only does it on a slow exhale but the annoyance factor goes away rather quickly atleast it did for me. The main purpose of the gear underwater and they perform well. I also own a MK17/G250V which I find to be almost Identicle to the breathing effort as the M1. I wouldnt let the noise above water discourage you from a great regulator though if that is the only complaint.

Don't think of it as squealing. Think of it as your regulator singing for joy - it's happy that you're going diving. :D

It can happen with lots of regulators but, according to Atomic, it's a common occurrence with theirs. At any rate, plenty of anecdotal reports of noise on the surface, rarely when the reg is submerged, another good reason to head for the bottom.

I'm still looking for a reg to replace my old Oceanic Delta 2 which has a slow leak at the first stage again, and I'm tired of getting this fixed.

I was going to get the Atomic B2 but reports of squealing have made we weary as noise drives me insane. So now I'm considering ST1, M1 or the Z2/Z2X.

Adam
It seems that the people that are talking about a "squealing" noise coming from their B2's are stating that the noise is actually coming from the 1st stage. All Atomic 1st stages are of the same design. The only differences are in the mixture of materials (brass, SS, Titanium, Monel) and whether or not it's environmentally sealed. Same thing with the 2nd stage. So, I'm not sure why the B2 would be any more susceptible to "squealing" than any other Atomic setup? Interesting. . .

But anywhoooo, My ST1 has never made a strange noise and neither have any other Atomic setups I've been around. I am however having a high pitched noise problem with my Scubapro Mk25. That I'm told has something to do with lube (possibly not enough) and a spring. Given the similarity in design between a SP and Atomic, maybe they have the same issue?

Also, it breaths dry and just fine upside-down. Or, any other position you can be in.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful input. I placed an order for a nice gray unsealed Z2X from one of the LDS in OC. This was based on the info provided here, and the advice of those who have both the Z2 and the more expensive line that both breathe equally well. I also spoke with the Atomics people at the Long Beach scuba show.

Finally, while it could be a coincidence, the reports of noise, whatever that is, come from B2 owners. Even though the different models differ only in materials, there may be something about the metals and their density in the B2 that makes this more likely. While both the B2 and Z2 are listed as having the same materials for the first stage, the Z2 1st stage is slightly lighter, so there may a difference between the two.

I should also add that because of my bad experience with my two Oceanic Delta 2 (one piston and one diaphragm) I would stay away from Oceanic regs. I've had too many problems with leaking 1st stage, drifting of IP and Oceanic plastic deteriorating. And in fact, their going with non standard hoses seals my opinion.

Adam

I have had an Atomic B2 for nearly 4 years now and mine has squealed since day one. I've had it to an authorized dealer, sent it to Atomic 2 times for repair and they replaced everything in the first stage, but that still didn't correct the problem. Then, they recently replaced my B2 with a new one. Last week, I was on a dive trip with the new B2 and it squealed just as the others did. To make sure that the problem wasn't with me, or the way I was/am breathing, I exchanged regulators with my wife (who also has a B2) and her reg worked perfectly for me, while my reg squealed for her. Then I exchanged regs with a friend of mine who has an Atomic T1. Again, his reg worked perfectly for me, while my brand new B2 squealed for him. I then exchanged regs with a friend who uses a Sherwood SR1, and another friend who uses an Oceanic reg... My regulator squealed for all of them, while their regulators worked perfectly for me. How convincing is that! The more a person checks around, the more one finds that squealing in a B2 is more common than not. There are too many very good regulators available these days, for less money. Thus, why anyone would purchase a B2 would be beyond me. However, if there is someone who would like a brand new B2, despite the reports, please feel free to contact me and I'll make you a heck of a good deal.
Kent

Just bought a Atomic Z2, right out of the box for 300 and that was a steel, I took it up to Northeast Scuba Supply and put a Din on it and after a few dives and finishing the fine tuning it the best Reg I ever own. I been diving in water temps of 44 degrees without the cold water kit on it and I have no problems with it. I do use a back up pony bottle when diving with a Genesis 2000 reg on it for emergencies. So far My Z2 is fantastic.

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom