Does anyone recognize this sea star?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that's either swollen stomach or gonads. And since Acanthaster is one of those things that sticks its stomach out and digests junk, you won't find any "animal parts" up in the disk. Just a lot of goop.

Gross.

When this was first posted I sent the pics to Gordon Hendler, curator of echinoderms here at NHMLAC and lead author of the book on caribbean echinoderms. He was away until now & just sent a reply. In his opinion it's Narcissia ahearnae Pawson which is not in his book. It was only described in 2007. See http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2007f/z01386p058f.pdf Unfortunately only the first page is accessible on the web. According to the abstract "Narcissia ahearnae, new species, is described from off the east coast of Florida and the Bahamas, in depths of 53–135 m.
It is distinctive in having conspicuous undulating carinal ridges extending from the center of the disc along the upper surfaces
of the arms."

Incidentally, Gordon would love to get a specimen for this museum.

... NHMLAC ...
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County?
Rick

Hi Sue -- Thanks for your interest. To prepare a fresh-caught sea star it needs to be first narcotized so it doesn't curl into a ball then put into 80% alcohol. If it's large it will need alcohol injected into the body to make sure the internal organs are preserved as well as the outside. After sitting in the alcohol for several days or longer (depends on the size) the fluid can be drained off & the animal wrapped in alcohol-dampened paper towels for shipping. When I participated in a field survey in the BVI we brought our own relaxant and used Baccardi 151 white rum as the preservative!

I just checked and Saba doesn't allow collecting without a special permit. Saba Marine Environment Ordinance If a local fisherman brought one of these stars up as bycatch it would be okay. I certainly don't encourage anyone to collect illegally. We (yes, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County) won't even accept anything taken in violation of local regulations. Gordon will have to wait..... At least your photographs show that the star is found in Saba which is quite a range extension from Florida & the Bahamas and a useful piece of information.

Cheers-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom