Does anyone fish in Hol Chan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
Just asking. I'm just curious because here in the south, there is no more enforcement of ANY marine reserve. Southwater Caye reserve now has the local spearos from Sarteneja fishing right in front of SW and the little caye just to the south.
My buddy saw this and asked a guy in a Fisheries boat who came up to ask him where he was going etc, and the guy said, "we're not enforcing it now because we haven't but up any buoys". I thought that in last year April a law was passed to enforce all this, which I believe it was. But under pressure from the commercial guys, enforcement has stopped.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not planning on bring the Carrot Juice (my boat) and my spear guns up to Hole Chan. But has Belize Fisheries gone completely nuts?

Very very unlikely Hank during the day and up to the last night dive Hol Chan Polices itself with the help of the rangers. what happens after all the night dives head on home and its all quiet there I guess someone could go and do a spearfishing dive but highly unlikely I think.

I have the the past years seen hooks in the Groupers mouth but these days I think its very unlikely any fishing goes on there. (I am reffering to the Cut)

But since Hol Chan is a 7.5 square mile area it would be hard to say no fishing goes on but very risky for the fisherman if someone sees him they will be reported for sure.

Gaz

Out of Placencia, we have an NGO called SEA (formerly Friends of Nature) that have full time rangers that enforce the regulations in Laughing Bird Caye and the marine reserves in this area. These rangers take their jobs seriously and do a good job.

So it seems that the only thing consistant with the Fisheries laws is that they're inconsistant. I love this place.

Back
Top Bottom