Does anyone dive the Bare Hi Loft Undergarmet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The other day I trusted advice from my LDS & did an impulse buy replacing my old DUI polartec 300 & another layer of polartec 100 with the very cozy Bare Super Hi Loft. (I was freezing in 52F water)

I always regret impulse buys, so am having second thoughs before I try it. Are any of you diving this undergarmet, how does it vent, how much extra weight will it add to my belt? Do you have another suggestion?

Last edited:
I always regret impulse buys, so am having second thoughs before I try it. Are any of you diving this undergarmet, how does it vent, how much extra weight will it add to my belt? Do you have another suggestion?

In short, I do not think you'll regret the purchase.

I dive my DUI TLS-350 with this undergarment here in 38F water with a layer of thin Patagonia Capilene underneath and it's quite nice. Very comfortable, vents fine. Gussetted legs and arms/shoulders make for maximum flexibility. (Valve drills no problem.) The pockets are a nice addition when wearing it on the boat or on land. (I've dove with my cell phone on more than one occaision.) The smooth/slick outer material helps donning/doffing your drysuit as well as mobility while diving. The two way zipper is good...at least for boys.

As far as extra weight? Who knows. Don't know how much you're wearing now, how much needed previously, how your rig is configured, etc. I dive double 119's on a steel plate so I wear no lead at all with it.

Kathy, if you were cold in 300g undergarments, you might want to ask about Bare's Super Hi-Loft undergarment, which as I understand it is even warmer than the Hi-loft (being super and all). This is what August dives, and I think it's Bare's equivalent to the 400g/Mk3/Weezle class undergarment.

Kathy, if you were cold in 300g undergarments, you might want to ask about Bare's Super Hi-Loft undergarment, which as I understand it is even warmer than the Hi-loft (being super and all). This is what August dives, and I think it's Bare's equivalent to the 400g/Mk3/Weezle class undergarment.

Now that I read your post, I must confess that I think I'm referring to the SUPER High Loft in my post as well.

Don't know how much you're wearing now, how much needed previously, how your rig is configured, etc. I dive double 119's on a steel plate so I wear no lead at all with it.

Thanks for the advice.

Want to take a stab at the weighting :D?
Here's what I'm diving:

XS HP100 steel single
5.5lb plate
2lb light can
8 lbs weight belt
300 DUI polar tech + extra layer 100 polar tech

Now that I read your post, I must confess that I think I'm referring to the SUPER High Loft in my post as well.

Oopps, I was referring to the SUPER High Loft too.

I admit I'm little worried about how much extra lead I'll need.

Thanks Kenn, I'll chat with August.

Thanks for the advice.

Want to take a stab at the weighting :D?
Here's what I'm diving:

XS HP100 steel single
5.5lb plate
2lb light can
8 lbs weight belt
300 DUI polar tech + extra layer 100 polar tech

The Super Hi-Loft seems really nice, August seems to like his quite a bit.

If I can take a wild stab at weighting, my guess would be that you'd need roughly 6lb more with the Super Hi-Loft. With the same basic setup with Whites MK3s, I use:

5.5lb plate
1lb extra reg
1lb argon
6lb STA
2lb can light
10lb weight belt

You have a smaller frame and you've got that extra 100g on top of your 300g, so I'm guessing a bit less than the full 10lb difference. Maybe start with about 6lb more and fine-tune from there?

Thanks Kenn, I'll take it into the pool. 6lbs sounds like a resonable addition for warm hands/feet and the promise of longer dives.

Probably will have to add another pound just to off-set the new 12mm otter bay helmet.

Rick Inman had a post a while back saying that he regularly used a 2lb weight to sink his old hood, and a full 5lb was needed for a new Otter Bay helmet :wink: I gotta get me one of those!

Rick Inman had a post a while back saying that he regularly used a 2lb weight to sink his old hood, and a full 5lb was needed for a new Otter Bay helmet :wink: I gotta get me one of those!

Well at least nobody will need to tell me to keep my head up anymore :D!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom