Does anyone dive Baja?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive Cabo San Lucas several times a year.

We stay at Plaza Las Gloris and dive with Baja-Dive.

We like the very short (5 to 20 min) boat rides, varied marine life, sea lions etc.

We also go to Gordo Banks to dive witht he whale and Hammewrheads and it GREAT.

Cabo Pumo (Pacific side ) is the only coral reef on the Baja and is worth the trip once a year.

Mike...

We just got back from Cabo today. We dove two days while we were there.

First trip was to Cabo Pulmo. It was a really good dive with lots of marine life and very warm water (78-83). Depth was maximum of 55ft. We dove with Vista Sea Sport out of Buena Vista. They picked us up at our hotel (Rancho Leonero) and dropped us at our room. Good equipment and great divemaster. Highly recommend.

Our second time out was to do a double at Land's End. The company we went with (Land's End Diving) was not really impressive. We were trying to find Amigos Del Mar and couldn't find their location and we settled on Land's End. Big mistake. Just suffice it to say that my wife was so disgusted that she elected to not do the second dive and lose out on the money rather than trust them again. The surge was pretty stiff and the dive master kept disappearing. Finally, I aborted the dive and took her up.

When I go back it will be with Amigos Del Mar or not at all.

In hindsight I would do the Cabo Pulmo dive again with the wife and head out to Gorda Banks without her. We would both skip the diving in Cabo.

Last year and again this year in October I will be spending a week on the liveaboard, MV Don Jose, operated by Baja Expeditions out of La Paz.

The Don Jose is a very basic liveaboard experience, not in the same league as the Belikiki in the Solomons or the Carribean Explorer around Saba.

However, the diving is excellent: pelagics like whalesharks, hammerheads and such.

Three years ago we were on the way to La Paz when a hurricane hit. The folks at Baja Expeditions offered us a different dive date at no charge. The airline, by the way, would not credit us for our fare even though they cancelled the flight. Don't you just love Mexican airlines!!!!!

The town of La Paz is sort of cosmopolitan in a Mexican sort of way... Excellent restaurants and lots of shops with fun stuff to haul home.

Check out Baja Expeditions and the Don Jose if you want some quality diving in La Paz.

El Buzo Loco once bubbled...

Three years ago we were on the way to La Paz when a hurricane hit. The folks at Baja Expeditions offered us a different dive date at no charge. The airline, by the way, would not credit us for our fare even though they cancelled the flight. Don't you just love Mexican airlines!!!!!

Actually, US airlines will do the same thing. If the flight is canceled because of something that's their fault, like a mechanical prob with the plane, they'll refund you. If it's a weather cancellation, then they'll put you on the next flight that has room (could be a couple of days), or they may try, if you're nice to them, to place you on another airline that has room sooner, but they won't refund you. It has happened to me at least twice.

My wife and I just returned from a week long vacation in Cabo. Dove 3 days with Amigos Del Mar- 2 days of Across the Bay (Blow Hole, Twin Dolphin, Whale Head) and 1 day of local dives (Neptune's Finger and North Wall). Kevin and his crew at the dive shop were great, and Fabel the divemaster was excellent. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to dive in Cabo.

Unfortunately, weather didn't permit the day trip to Cabo Pulmo. I understand that conditions are very volatile and change daily. Currents are a major factor on the local dives and Across the Bay dives. We tried to dive at the Sea Lion Colony, but the current was too strong. More to look forward to on the next trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom