Does a pull-dump stress the corrugated hose flange?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always found that venting air while in a horizontal position with the inflator hose is rather awkward, being able to simply pull on the hose rather than lifting it over your shoulder so it can vent seems much easier.

You oughta give the rear dump valve a try...

I care more about a well trained diver over what he prefers to have. If I was to be in an out of air situation I would care more if he had a working octo for me over how stupid he looks in tech gear with a pull dump.

I have one and maybe AirII one day as my second octo and I will be happy knowing I MYSELF feel benefited from it. People spend so much time complaining about something "not" correct in the "ways" world that over time I see stupid divers more over "stupid" gear.

I was at aquarena a few weeks back and saw some people with gears. That is fine to me. But I saw more dive mistakes with untrained people putting on gear wrong ways or falling or even one jumping into the water with gauges hanging out of reach and reg not even in mouth. I saw people jumping in with a diver STILL under them who just jump in. I have seen diver masters getting out of the water and as they walk off notice they forgot one student back in the water.Like I said I care less what gear you use as long you are a trained diver.

Your gear is as only good as the trained diver you are.

I care more about a well trained diver over what he prefers to have. If I was to be in an out of air situation I would care more if he had a working octo for me over how stupid he looks in tech gear with a pull dump.

I have one and maybe AirII one day as my second octo and I will be happy knowing I MYSELF feel benefited from it. People spend so much time complaining about something "not" correct in the "ways" world that over time I see stupid divers more over "stupid" gear.

I was at aquarena a few weeks back and saw some people with gears. That is fine to me. But I saw more dive mistakes with untrained people putting on gear wrong ways or falling or even one jumping into the water with gauges hanging out of reach and reg not even in mouth. I saw people jumping in with a diver STILL under them who just jump in. I have seen diver masters getting out of the water and as they walk off notice they forgot one student back in the water.Like I said I care less what gear you use as long you are a trained diver.

Your gear is as only good as the trained diver you are.

Bravo!!! Well stated.

BTW, you can have all the coolest gears in the world, but if you don't practice with your gear configuration, especially with your buddies...nothing more needs to be said.

I have that feature on my Genesis BC, though I didn't know it until recently when the cap on it came off on a boat between dives and I had to reassemble it........

I was re-reading divers down last week. Came across a similar story. The diver had his pull-dump unscrew on the end. He reassembled it but missed an o-ring, so it would not hold air but he did not realize that until he descended off a wall. They recovered his body from close to 200' some time later.

As much as I detest the whine of "failure points" by some of the crowd in black, they do have a valid point. Food for thought.

I was re-reading divers down last week. Came across a similar story. The diver had his pull-dump unscrew on the end. He reassembled it but missed an o-ring, so it would not hold air but he did not realize that until he descended off a wall. They recovered his body from close to 200' some time later.

As much as I detest the whine of "failure points" by some of the crowd in black, they do have a valid point. Food for thought.

As much as I hate to keep bringing it up, this is a "training" vs "equipment" issue.

Everything is a failure point on a BC. A sharp stick, every inch of seam and fabric, every o-ring and plastic or rubber part. What would have prevented this tragedy is training, specifically remembering to ditch weights in case of buoyancy failure. Or having a well trained buddy.

An even more elegant solution would have been for him to change position so the leaking spot wasn't a high point, but that's probably a lot to ask.

Terry

Or perhaps to have checked to make sure the BC held air after working on it?

As much as I hate to keep bringing it up, this is a "training" vs "equipment" issue.

Everything is a failure point on a BC. A sharp stick, every inch of seam and fabric, every o-ring and plastic or rubber part. What would have prevented this tragedy is training, specifically remembering to ditch weights in case of buoyancy failure. Or having a well trained buddy.

An even more elegant solution would have been for him to change position so the leaking spot wasn't a high point, but that's probably a lot to ask.

Terry

The cap came off in the locker. He saw it, put it back on without much thought. He was not repairing it, he just did not realize the o-ring was missing. It was not a leak he could work around, it just would not fill at all since the air just went out the pull dump as fast as it entered. A bladder puncture or even a dump valve failing would only partially disable a normal wing. This is what made me think.

Yes, as with most accidents, he had several chances to save his butt, he was over weighted, his buddy should have been next to him, he should have dumped his weight faster, he could have deployed an SMB.....

Still I ask, why make something more complex unless it has a significant advantage?

Hi! I am posting this in the DiveRite forum because DR advocates pull-dump equipped hoses on wings, where other manufacturers do not necessarily. My BP/W setup is not a DiveRite, but I am considering retrofitting it with a pull-dump hose and possibly a RiteSource or similar device.

Are DR wings reinforced more around the flange than other wings in order to accommodate the repetitive pulling on the hose, or does this action not produce enough stress to worry about on a typical wing or BC? Would the integrity of a Halcyon, OMS or similar wing be jeopardized at all by the installation of a pull-dump corrugated hose fitting?

Hey bkotheimer,

Thanks for the controversial post! Sorry for my late reply, I must have missed this over the holidays. No one actually answered your question so here goes:...Dive Rite wings are not specially reinforced to accept pull dump inflator hoses. If the fittings are the same, you can put a Rite Source on a competitors wing. OMS and Halcyon wings should work, unless something has changed about their inflators that I'm not familiar with.

BTW, tech divers stay away from pull dumps on the inflator hose for two reasons (1) you have to get in a vertical orientation in order to dump gas and that spoils your trim and could potentially cause a silt-out in a wreck or cave (2) the profile of a pull dump sits high above the wing and interferes with the doubles manifold, whereas an elbow sits lower and won't.

A pull dump is not a failure point. Every wing is outfitted with a pull valve ... called the OPV. It can be dislodged just as easily (which isn't easy) as an inflator, so every diver should frequently check their gear for integrity and make sure they re-assemble properly if the gear was unassembled for any reason.

Enjoy your new Rite Source/pull dump.

Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom