Does a Long Hose set up require training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey once bubbled...

because of his choice of diving heavy LP steels with a thin wet suit (wrong choice of cylinder to dive with a wet suit).

What kind of wetsuit *isn't* thin at 150 feet? :wink:

blackice once bubbled...

I find that a combination of cable tie and "O"ring works well. I have the "O" ring bent around the bold snap then feed a cable tie thru the two loops of the "O" ring and secure the cable tie to the first metal are on after the hose and before the regulator.
--------------

BlackIce, do you read Quest? G3 posted this week, "No breakaways on the rig".

Now for fun, lets see if I can explain why?

1. Why would you need a break way?
The long hose is clipped off when you are on the boat or breathing another reg (deco or stage). If there is an OOA, you donate the one in your mouth, not the long hose clipped off.

Scenerio: Team member is OOA while breathing a stage.

You donate stage reg out of mouth. Go to back up, blast clear, no gas? Check your left post for roll off, still no gas or won't breath.

As I posted before, you should be able to take a hit off the long hose while clipped off, or unclip it and breath it.

If you can't reach to breath the long hose and can't unclip it, then go to the knife and cut the cave line. By this point I would have buddy breathed the working stage or taken a breath off my inflator hose.

2. You explained how Breakaways are likely to fail. There is no need for the maintanence. But if you still like them, enjoy, they are not going to kill you. The will just cost you a few SS bolt snaps. :boom:

On the subject of breakaways, I thought I would share the method I use:

On connected items where a breakaway would traditionally have been used (SPG, long hose), I use a 90 durometer tank neck o-ring, bent around the bolt snap eye and looped over the hose itself (no cave line). This is a pretty durable connection which requires a pull so strong to break it that you can't really consider it as a "break-away", but it does have a couple of advantages:

If a buddy attempts to grab your long hose reg while it is clipped off, the o-ring will "walk" up the hose, allowing a foot or so of slack (enough for a panicking buddy to breathe from the reg) and allowing you to then unclip it. A straight cave line connection can bind (like a prusik) on the hose, preventing it from feeding through when tugged at.

On the SPG hose, the o-ring is tight enough to keep the bolt snap over the hose and not the connection (so it doesn't get abraded as the SPG swivels), and acts as a bit of a shock absorber to reduce stress on the hose at that location as the SPG is manipulated.

In either case, you will never lose bolt snaps (these are clipped off to your d-rings anyway). If one of them should break, I keep in my pocket a few inner tube loops (like the backup light retainers) that I can jury rig the bolt snap on with in exactly the same fashion.

-Sean

so if i dove the bwod with the right gas, in the right exposure suit and the right tanks I'd still live? Correct? So doesn't make them the bwod, but the dtpod. dumb thought process of death. The gear ain't gonna kill ya. Doing stupid things kills ya!

Well said.

I think you've managed to convince us ALL that you were right all along.

I think you should run, not walk, to your LDS and buy the kewl wings.

Let us know if you find any kewl salvage under the bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom