Doc Wong's Fundamentals Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

This past several months have been quite enlightening for me going from my years of recreational diving to deeper and more technical diving. What amazes me is how much more the field now knows compared to 20 or so years ago when I was actively diving.

I'm currently in the middle of two different classes.

Taking my trimix class from Phil Sammet has and continues to be quite an incredible experience! I've learned so much in such a relatively short time and am doing dives I've only dreamed of a short while ago.

The other class is with Beto Nava in GUE's Fundamentals of Diving course (SF Bay Area) and I just finished my second night of the 5 night and 2 weekend class.

Tonight was in the swimming pool and in a few short lessons, Beto had me swimming backwards! This is something I thought I could never master and I felt I was too uncoordinated to learn it. I've read books, seen videos, practiced on my living room floor, jumped on my own pool on many occasions and failed to do the backwards kick. When I got the kick right, I was so excited that tonight I was able to swim one whole lap backwards!!!!

Wow, one whole lap with the back-kick? Good job! The best I ever did on my first try --was two pulled groin muscles. . .:frown:

Boy, am I jealous . . . I've been practicing for six months, and I still doubt I could do a lap backwards. Congratulations!

Thanks for the report Doc. These are both courses I'd love to take at some point in the future. Being from the bay area myself, it's good to hear reports from others around here. At the moment I can only swim backwards in my dreams.

-John

Doc, congratulations on your accomplishments. Keep up the good work.

Phil Ellis

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Here's my report for Day 3 (evening classroom session): This was 4 hours spent on equipment configuration.

Coming into this class I had already read Dress for Success and spoken to others on my gear configuration and I configured my gear accordingly. I kind of had an attitude of thinking I already knew it all and I was wrong. Beto's presentation was incredibly complete and detailed!

I learned 2 different knots for tying off clips; one that gives the clip a lot of flexibility and another that tends to keep the clip in position.

My clips were WAY too big and as a result was making my chest D rings too busy and difficult to manage so I changed them to smaller ones and got the technique of clipping and unclipping without the need to have huge clips that I could stick my finger in (gloved). I also tied them on with cave line instead of the big thick line I was using. The reason for this is to make it easier to cut off in case of emergency.

My backup reg bungie cord was fastened on insecurely and now it's zip tied on. Also the backup hose was too long, making the hose lay on top of my right chest D ring. This was getting in the way of clipping and unclipping, so I changed to a shorter one.

The hose routing of my SPG interferred with my wing and made it difficult to use. I routed it in front of the wing instead of behind.

And the plate was not adjusted correctly.

My two other teammates made quite a few changes too!

Now off to Day 4 (all day at the pool)

Doc Wong,

I remember diving with you a few months ago on the Cypress Sea. I was the other diver with the DSS rig. I recall you being a good diver and if we had ever wound up on the boat together again I'd gladly dive with you some more. It's good to hear that you're doing well in your Tech endeavor.

If you're up for some diving this weekend, I'm going to be at Monterey (pending work schedule).

DocWong:
Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of two different classes.

Taking my trimix class from Phil Sammet has and continues to be quite an incredible experience! I've learned so much in such a relatively short time and am doing dives I've only dreamed of a short while ago.

Most people would take Fundamentals before Trimix/Tech :) What made you take it in this order?

rainman_02:
Doc Wong,

I remember diving with you a few months ago on the Cypress Sea. I was the other diver with the DSS rig. I recall you being a good diver and if we had ever wound up on the boat together again I'd gladly dive with you some more. It's good to hear that you're doing well in your Tech endeavor.

If you're up for some diving this weekend, I'm going to be at Monterey (pending work schedule).

Were you the diver with the 40 cu ft stage? If so, have you taken any tech classes? Great to hear from you!

This weekend is in the pool for fundies and the next weekend is our fundies ocean dive! Let's dive after that! You can e-mail me at docwong@aol.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom