• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Doc Deep dies during dive.

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by stcroixscuba, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Hetland

Hetland Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Another planning failure. To me, this whole misadventure is shocking. It seems like every element of this plan was developed by someone with a poor understanding of decompression theory, or a wish to commit suicide with as much fanfare as possible. I find it difficult to believe, and also find myself doubting (seriously) that this guy had ever made it down and back from 800ft. 500 is a little more believable, but not by very much.

2. tomfcrist

tomfcrist NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Well that means at least some info concerning what happened will be openly reported eventually.

3. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

I was contemplating how to do this dive on the cheap with a reasonable possibility of surviving. You don't have to be a genius to figure out you can't pack enough gas. Rebreathers have serious respiratory work constraints at that depth.

Surface-supplied would be functionally challenging. There isn't enough time for the umbilical to get purged of rich O2 mixes as they are switched at the surface with the a necessarily fast descent. Decompression is doable… pointless but doable. A lightweight hat and umbilical would at least give you communications, live video, hot water, a good chance of surviving HPNS tremors -- and make body recovery easier. :wink:

Hetland and Jax like this.
  4. SterlingCGJ

SterlingCGJ Angel Fish

Not really sure what the "highest rated level of 65 meters" is about. I know of several of the support staff had lots of dives at 350 FSW and some 400 FSW dives. Please do not take this out of context and say I am saying the support divers had "only" been to 350 FSW. I am only stating that I know the support divers had lots of dives to at least 350 FSW.

He had done several of his other deep dives in a semi dry suit so I would suppose he was in the same suit for this dive.

My understanding is the run time was closer to 18 hours. Again, I don't know this as fact just what I have heard.

5. nimoh

nimoh Public Safety Diver

A semi dry suit is still a wetsuit and is subject to compression and loss of insulation at depth....and extreme loss of compression and insulation at extreme depths.

I don't know what the water temperature was for that dive, but I have to think that they thought about exposure protection. I have about a dozen dives below 200', and have never been below 300' yet I think about these sort of things on every dive.

6. SterlingCGJ

SterlingCGJ Angel Fish

Don't remember saying it wasn't. And I changed my wording in the above post. I wasn't there and don't know exactly what suit he had so I changed my wording to reflect that.

7. diver 85

diver 85 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    (Have not scrolled thru the 10 pages of posts on this one)-----------so, with the way 'things' were setup, what was his % of 'making it' heading into the dive???.......tia...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. Redshift

Redshift DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I think that info was about his instructor. Was it normoxic only? Or did he ever do hypoxic trimix course?

9. Hetland

Hetland Solo Diver

Thanks for the info Sterling

Better than a 3mm, but still not enough (imo), especially when you consider the long decompression, and the effects of cold water on fine motor skills.

10. SterlingCGJ

SterlingCGJ Angel Fish

I do not know that information, sorry.