Do you use Travel Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes to purchasing for many of the reasons given already. Have only made a small claim for a hotel stay and food on a cheap Allianz policy bought when purchasing airfare for Cabo, but they reimbursed us in a timely manner.

I'm about to find out how well they will handle a much bigger claim as I had a trip interruption on a land/cruise tour of Alaska. Much more expensive policy but will be asking for airfare, cruise costs, hotel, and food. Can't wait to see how it all works out. Will try to remember and report back in this thread.

Interesting. In my experience insurance has never paid for anything when i have had to make a claim. I just assume i will eat 100% of costs no matter what happens.

i usually take some form of travel insurance and I alway have DAN ins- my frustration is getting the value of your ccr covered for loss -you can get nominated as a high value item but they deduct 20% per year making it worth very little - has anyone found an ins that is acceptable

about to find out how well they will handle a much bigger claim as I had a trip interruption on a land/cruise tour of Alaska. Much more expensive policy but will be asking for airfare, cruise costs, hotel, and food. Can't wait

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes. Thanks

I have long "self-insured," meaning I took that risk that if I couldn't proceed with a trip or had to cut a trip short I would expect no refunds and pay my full expenses out of pocket. More recently, I found one reason to buy travel insurance: Trip Interruption coverage in case I had to quarantine in an expensive hotel for five days. Now that fewer countries are requiring Covid testing, this seems less important to me. Even then, there is a cap on reimbursement, so is it really worth it? Trip Cancellation coverage typically has many restrictions/limitations, and you may be reimbursed less than 100% for cancellation. I recall reading of liveaboards canceling for reasons that didn't fall within any of the reasons listed on the policy, so insurance wouldn't cover it. The divers had to deal with whatever compensation the liveaboard offered.

I wish travel insurance were available a la carte, so you could buy ONLY Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage, for example. (I DO buy medical-only insurance because my US policy doesn't cover many things out-of-country.) They way "travel insurance" bundles coverage seems to me to obscure the cost of the coverage that is important to me with coverage for events that I would gladly self-insure against. There are ways to get at least partial compensation other than through insurance. You can typically cancel an airline ticket and rebook it within a year. Airlines offer compensation for lost baggage and severely delayed flights. Homeowners insurance will often cover lost or stolen dive gear. Liveaboards will usually at least give a voucher for future trips. Dive resorts may do the same or similar. Hotels have cancellation policies. But there are scenarios that fall through the cracks. We have all read accounts on SB of someone having really bad luck, like the lady whose liveaboard canceled on her while she was already on her international flight there and offered some kind of lame compensation like a land-based week.

I have insured a few big trips, where I paid in advance for a package of some kind, such as a dive resort or liveaboard. More often, I put trips together myself and self-insure the pieces. I always buy my airline ticket myself, sometimes using points. As I see it, losing money on travel is a risk we take in this hobby. In my mind, I consider such expenses as built into the cost of the hobby, just as I do with having gear serviced/replaced. The best advice--which I don't always heed myself--is to insure against things that would cause you real financial hardship if you didn't receive compensation, and just suck up the rest as the cost of doing business (or hobby in this case).

i usually take some form of travel insurance and I alway have DAN ins- my frustration is getting the value of your ccr covered for loss -you can get nominated as a high value item but they deduct 20% per year making it worth very little - has anyone found an ins that is acceptable
Put your ccr on your homeowners insurance as "replacement value".

Interesting. In my experience insurance has never paid for anything when i have had to make a claim. I just assume i will eat 100% of costs no matter what happens.
I claim you are using (or buying) the wrong insurance? Low cost or "free" insurance is low cost because it excludes many expected items. That is how they keep the cost down. You get what you pay for.

My credit cards provide some level of "free" insurance. But they do not provide total coverage. So I ignore them and use an annual trip insurance product.

Example: one card has trip interruption insurance that is really trip continuation insurance. If your plane is late and you miss your cruise ship departure, then nothing is covered as they claim your "trip" has not yet started. If you have to stay behind on an island on day 3 of the cruise to see a dentist, then they will pay for you to catch up to the ship the following day.

Each product is different. You need to decide what types of events are important to you and then read the fine print to find a policy that provides your desired coverage. Shop around. There are lots of providers out there.

This is a general question about travel insurance. I’ve never used it but reading some of the threads here it seems more popular than I thought. How many of you buy travel insurance and have you ever collected on a claim? Am I being risky not having it?
We have collected on all of our claims. Some examples:
- a snow storm delayed our arrival by 1 day for a LOB. Insurance paid for 1 night in hotel, meals and a water taxi to catch up to the LOB.
- a return home flight was delayed overnight. Insurance paid for meals, hotel and transportation to/from airport.
- some luggage did not arrive with our flight prior to a boat cruise during which there would be no opportunity to shop. Insurance paid to purchase new clothes to replace the missing items.

In all of these examples our claim was larger than the cost of our annual trip insurance policy.

Three kinds of insurance:

1 dive insurance - covers a dive accident, medical and evac expenses. I always have DAN. The cost is low and the potential loss can be extreme.

2 travel medical - covers all other emergency medical. I always carry an annual 30 day policy. Covers multiple trips up to a 30 day duration. The cost is significantly more than DAN and getting higher as I get older but the potential loss can be extreme here as well.

3 trip insurance - covers trip cancellation expenses. I never purchase this insurance and self insure. My reasoning is that this type of insurance is very pricy compared to the possible exposure and I travel enough to make self insuring cheaper in the long run. In more than 40 years of travel I have never had a trip cancelled. So far I am way ahead!

I always have DAN. I have excellent health insurance, but need to verify I am covered for out of country expenses, to be sure I am fully insured in case of an emergency.

I never get travel (trip) insurance, and have never needed it, although purchasing airline fares that are changeable has paid off a few times. I also always book hotels with the actual property if possible.

Back
Top Bottom