Do you use more lead in Drysuits with improvised undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Folks who dive drysuits, do you guys find yourselves using significantly more weight with multi-layered undergarments than one single thick undergarment? I have been diving with improvised undergarments that keep me warm down to 40 degrees. The LDS guy tells me that if I buy a proper undergarment (preferably one piece undergarment that you step into and zip) then I will be able to drop 5lbs from my weight. Makes sense??? Or is it sales talk?

Think about what keeps you warm, that would be air. The more air trapped the warmer you will be. With a heavy weight base layer and my Thermal Fusion it take 40 pounds of ballast to sink, I have used 36 before but I was pretty much shrinked warped the whole dive. To answer your question I would save the money if what you have works. If you really want to see for your self see if they will let you demo the undergarments so you know what you are spending your money on.

The materials of which high-end undergarments are made are chosen for maximum insulation with minimum bulk -- and minimum bulk means less weight. It was certainly my experience with going from layered fleece garments to a Thinsulate/fleece hybrid, that I was a) warmer and b) used less weight.

Think about what keeps you warm, that would be air. The more air trapped the warmer you will be. With a heavy weight base layer and my Thermal Fusion it take 40 pounds of ballast to sink, I have used 36 before but I was pretty much shrinked warped the whole dive. To answer your question I would save the money if what you have works. If you really want to see for your self see if they will let you demo the undergarments so you know what you are spending your money on.

Just curious ... for 40lbs of lead what is the wing lift that you have?

Fourth Element doesn't take a lot of air to work. Single 119hp with the drybase or zerotherm under a Santi E-Lite I use 12 to 14lbs. At 42f I where the zerotherm and arctic layered with 18lbs. I dive with just enough air in the suit to relieve the squeeze. If I feel a chill, one short push of the button is all that's needed.

Double 119's, just a SS plate (6lbs).
Single wing 40lbs and 60lbs for doubles. Both 360 type wings.

Just curious ... for 40lbs of lead what is the wing lift that you have?

I'm using a 32# HOG wing. My weight is distributed like this, 5# SS plste, 5# HammerHead STA, a 4# V-weight pouch attached to either side of my plate, 6# split up in two cam band pockets, and finally a 16# weight belt. This is with a ALU 80 and in 39* water, when the water warms up to 43* I will drop around 4#. I would not put all that weight onto the plate as I would need a huge wing to float it. You will notice I said ballast and not lead because my plate and STA are part of my ballast system.

Fourth Element doesn't take a lot of air to work. Single 119hp with the drybase or zerotherm under a Santi E-Lite I use 12 to 14lbs. At 42f I where the zerotherm and arctic layered with 18lbs. I dive with just enough air in the suit to relieve the squeeze. If I feel a chill, one short push of the button is all that's needed.

Double 119's, just a SS plate (6lbs).
Single wing 40lbs and 60lbs for doubles. Both 360 type wings.

I'm not that far away from you in 42* water, you're using 18# of lead plus 6# of SS plate and 6# of tank more than I,m using. That brings your ballast up to 30#. I could probably go a little lighter but I hate being totally shrink wrapped at the end of the dive, especially in very cold water.

I'm not that far away from you in 42* water, you're using 18# of lead plus 6# of SS plate and 6# of tank more than I,m using. That brings your ballast up to 30#. I could probably go a little lighter but I hate being totally shrink wrapped at the end of the dive, especially in very cold water.

No, I included the 6lbs SS plate + 6lbs STA. So that's 12lbs + 1lbs lead to 3lbs leads in each trim pocket on lower cam. #14 to 18lbs total + tank.

Tank swings from -11lbs full to -2.00 lbs empty

No, I included the 6lbs SS plate + 6lbs STA. So that's 12lbs + 1lbs lead to 3lbs leads in each trim pocket on lower cam. #14 to 18lbs total + tank.

Tank swings from -11lbs full to -2.00 lbs empty

Wow, I wish I could get away with that little weight. All the people I know that are using the Arctic are using around the same weight as I am.

:confused::confused: Where do you all dive The DEAD sea :confused:

I dive saltwater, with 10kg on a single steel 10L tank.
Trilam suit and 500gram undersuit
No BP/W just a jacket and I still overweigted (Ilike it that way)

BTW the wife dives a rubber Viking with 8kg same jacket and tank. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom