do you use a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J

jeepinkev

Who here uses a snorkel? I haven't been diving long, but I have noticed that some "old salts" don't use snorkels, or if they do have one, they keep it in thier BCD pocket. It was drilled into my head during my first open water class that I should always use a snorkel, but after diving in a few different places, and talking to different people, opinions vary on this. I think I will go with one of the new, fold-up snorkels, and just leave it in my pocket until needed. What does everyone here think?

Opinions vary a lot about whether or not to dive with a snorkel. Old salts, as you say, often don't. Cave/wreck divers don't, with good reason. You don't want your snorkel to get caught on something inside a wreck.

Personally, I like having my snorkel during open water dives so I don't need to use the air in my tank when I'm on the surface. But if I know there's a strong current, I will leave the snorkel in the boat... I have found that my mask leaks when the snorkel is being subjected to the current and twists the mask strap.

If you're comfortable with a snorkel, use one. You'll get a comment or two from the "old salts", but if it's going to make you more comfortable in the water, it's worthwhile.

Julie

I use the fold up model by Sherwood. Fits easily in my pocket and is there if I need it. Plus, when you extend the mouthpiece section, it makes this loud raspberry sound which is quite a fun :devilish: surface attention getter.

is the only time now that I'll use a snorkel,,, I think it is another sales Item for the shops to make money with..

So... what are the chances that you will run out of air with a long surface swim (or worse, lost) in heavy seas? Small, I know, but I am taking my snorkel and safety sausage just in case.

-kate

...if you dive anywhere where the waves are any size at all, you're going to get water in your mouth. Keeping the regulator in is the best option, but uses air, which, as I understand it, some people would rather use under the surface rather that on it. I personally use a snorkel, if I'm going to be waiting / swimming on the surface for more than a minute or two.

Having said that, I would stow the snorkel for a cave/wreck penetration.

I certainly qualify as an "old salt",and I always carry a snorkel (a bendable type), whether it is in a BC pocket (most of the time) or on the mask strap (only when in use-only on the surface, obviously) . Circumstances will vary- and the previous posts address many of them. IMO, for the type diving I do, the extra problems, both potential and observed, of wearing the snorkel u/w (drag, interference with access to reg, possible mouthpiece confusion, entanglements, etc.) outweigh the nuisance of having to find it and attach it when/if you need it.
As with so many things, personal preference and experience should be considered in making a decision.

Mike

I am also a scuba-newbie (as I was just certified in August) but I have been snorkelling since I was a little kid - so I find the snorkel very comfortable on the surface - rather than use my regulator (I consume too much air as it is! <S>) I do plan to get into wreck diving next year after my AOW course - so I know I will probably leaving my trusty snorkel behind on the boat...or buying one of those cool fold-up one's. (I don't have any pockets on my BC (Dive Rite Transpac II), however, as I wanted to keep things failry streamlined, so I may have to pick one up....)

I'm with Cheese and Kate. I use mine on the surface, while waiting for others to get off the boat, if we're all going down together. And I think it was Fish that said, for long swim outs. It's the only way to not use up air before getting to the site. I keep mine connected to my mask. But the fold up kind makes sense too. Just be sure to have one. The one time you don't have it, will be the one time you wish you had it. I feel the same way about my safety sausage.
:sunny:

I don't use a snorkle unless there is a real need, like a long surface swim. I take it off and either leave it on the boat or put in my pocket. I found it caused a lot of problems, the worst being it would pull my mask strap over my head, almost lost a mask several times due to it. As for waiting for others on the surface, I usally wait until my buddy is ready to go before getting in the water or just turn over and float on my back, I can see better that way anyway..Do what YOU feel comfortable doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom