Do you run a primary at sites like the Eye at Ginnie?

Do you run a primary reel in the Eye?

• Yes…from just inside the cavern

• Yes…always from open water

• Sometimes…depending on how many primaries are already run

• No…the exit is clearly visible

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As one of the three people that moved the gold line in the Eye to the current location (the other two being the other Ken and Lauren), I will tell you that my primary motivation was to avoid a freediver getting entangled in a spiders web of poorly run lines. During the time we moved it, there were a number of people freediving into the cavern zone because they saw others doing it on youtube.

It seems that the freediver problem has corrected itself, but that's how we got here.
go back and put it in open water

go back and put it in open water
The last time I was there, there was a quasi-permanent line to open water. It seemed fine to me.

In the spectrum of:
cave diver not using a line in this stretch of cavern-cave vs
open water or free diver following a line and getting in trouble

I am ok taking on the "risk" of diving without a line here if it keeps others safer.

open water or free diver following a line and getting in trouble
Are OW diver allowed in the little devil spring run? If they would follow the gold line into the cave they probably would also follow someone elses line. Ginnie is probably one of the places where it doesn't matter much if the gold line was tied to the log at the bottom of the eye.

Are OW diver allowed in the little devil spring run? If they would follow the gold line into the cave they probably would also follow someone elses line. Ginnie is probably one of the places where it doesn't matter much if the gold line was tied to the log at the bottom of the eye.
Technically I dunno. I've seen them paddling around the eye-ear area in general. Seems like a ridiculous place for an open water dive at all to me since its ~20ft deep but here we are.

technically yes OW divers are allowed to dive the devils spring run. is it worth doing probably not. but OW divers are not allowed to carry lights.

It seems that the freediver problem has corrected itself, but that's how we got here.

Stopped a dude today trying to go further beyond that rock ledge at 20ft. He came back like 10 minutes later, probably figuring I would be gone, turned around again when he saw me.

There was some knucklehead with OW students at the eye on Sunday..

When I was there two weeks ago, there was a whole group of OW divers in the Eye while I was on deco.
If some OW divers want to be bored to death, they can dive in the open water basin till their hearts are full of happiness.

An instructor taking OW students there to do checkout dives is doing a great disservice to the students…although I guess it would qualify as “confined water” under some agencies standards.

BTW just in case someone says a line is totally unnecessary... More than once Ginnie has been suddenly "blown out" to really bad vis by something that happened in the back (which usually means a fatality). So it's not impossible to get into a situation where you want a line exiting, at least for confidence purposes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom