Do you Plan your dive or Dive your plan within NDLs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As tropical water vacation divers who do a max 2 dives a day usually on AL-80s, and usually no deeper than ~32-34m, we just ride the computer. Start at the deepest bit below all of the other divers where the interesting stuff usually is, hang for a bit and explore there, and then work your way up the wall/reef. Assuming you keep an eye on NDL and always have something interesting that is just a little bit shallower (the best is having an interesting reef at 5m), you can ride the computer up the reef and drain the tank. Exploring the reef as your safety stop is just gravy.

Diving 120 steel in Coz made this method a bit tougher as we were pushing NDLs a ways and also doing 90 minute dives but we did basically the same thing.

rick

Really depends on the dives. For Wreck diving, that are pretty close to single level dives, I am planning with tables.

For other multi level dives, I rely on my and my buddies computor. MAx depth 42m ( +/- 130 feet ) a TTS max of 15 minutes and a "take off pressure". That is the pressure at which we decide to go up for deco depths. This is roughly calculated as Take Off Pressure (in bars for a 15L tank ) = 3 X TTS + 40 Bars.

How do you pre-plan a multilevel dive or do you? Do you plan the dive using a manual approach (table or other method) or do you use a paid subscription software application?

Does your pre-plan include your expected RMV, gas volume and time requirements to stay within the NDLs? Or do you jump in and monitor on the fly your dive based on your SPG (AI) and PDC?

It can be a boat or shore dive - I am interested in your approach to a pre-plan or lack of pre-plan.
Thanks in advance.

Given you are an advanced diver in recreational open water with a 1 bar/min per ATA pressure Surface Consumption Rate for a particular tank, then all you need for planning multi-levels are the depths in ATA, the time you spent at each multi-level depth, and then you can figure out your air consumption for each particular depth, confirming it with an SPG or AI reading. For the following the multi-level profile below in case of a malfunctioning Dive Computer at depth, conservatively treat it as a contingent NDL 18 meters for 50 minutes Air Table Dive, and probably abort early as needed to an ascent & Safety Stop.

So you descend to 30 meters depth; that's 4 ATA (30 divided-by 10 plus 1 equals 4 ATA); you stay 5 minutes. 1 bar/min per ATA multiplied by 4 ATA multiplied by 5 minutes equals 20 bar consumed. Confirm with SPG or AI, your delta remaining pressure reads 20 bar less --so if you start with a full tank of 200 bar, the SPG or AI should indicate "180 bar". (200 minus 20 is 180 bar). Rock Bottom minimum gas reserve for buddy air sharing is 60 bar for this max depth, and with 180 bar remaining, you've got plenty for a Buddy Out-of-Air Emergency.

You then ascend to 21 meters depth; that's 3.1 ATA (21 divided-by 10 plus 1 equals 3.1 ATA); you stay 10 minutes. 1 bar/min per ATA multiplied by 3.1 ATA multiplied by 10 minutes equals 31 bar consumed. Confirm with SPG or AI, your delta remaining pressure reads 31 bar less --SPG or AI should indicate "149 bar". (180 minus 31 is 149 bar).

You then ascend to 15 meters depth; that's 2.5 ATA (15 divided-by 10 plus 1 equals 2.5 ATA); you stay 30 minutes. 1 bar/min per ATA multiplied by 2.5 ATA multiplied by 30 minutes equals 75 bar consumed. Confirm with SPG or AI, your delta remaining pressure reads 75 bar less --SPG or AI should indicate "74 bar". (149 minus 75 is 74 bar).

Finally ascend to 6 meters depth; that's 1.6 ATA ( 6 divided-by 10 plus 1 equals 1.6 ATA); you stay 10 minutes. 1 bar/min per ATA multiplied by 1.6 ATA multiplied by 10 minutes equals 16 bar consumed. Confirm with SPG or AI, your delta remaining pressure reads 16 bar less --SPG or AI should indicate "58 bar". (74 minus 16 is 58 bar).

Do a slow ascent to the surface --on the surface inflate your BCD/Wing/Drysuit and you know even before looking at your SPG that you have 50 bar remaining in your tank.

You should check your SPG or AI over an arbitrary elapsed dive time interval like every ten minutes, or every five minutes if deeper than 21 meters. If the expected SPG or AI reading is 30% or more than you figured, then that indicates you are physically working & breathing harder than normal, or have a leak somewhere in your reg/gear set-up, and should consider aborting the dive.

Last edited:
My rec dive plan is very simple: come back with 50bars, no deco and no more than 55mins of dive time.
Fly with the computer.

99% of the time follow my computer during the dive, but it's usually a single relatively shallow shore dive with an 80 cu ft tank. With a group, generally whoever gets to half a tank, unless current is an issue. For deeper dives, either submarine canyon or wreck, plan ahead based on depth and gas mix. On vacation with a guided group, go up when getting bored, cold, my wife wants to go up, or when guide needs to ascend

I happen to use an excel sheet that uses my avg SAC (last 100 dives), is based on the Naui tables (multi level dive or dives), I plug in depth and time and excel spits out the total gas and total time requiem for the dive including descent, ascent and safety stops.
I use it as a pre-plan and use my PDC and spg to validate my dive.

I try to keep the deco to a dull roar. 90 minutes of deco on a 200' dive can get boring.

Given you are an advanced diver in recreational open water with a 1 bar/min per ATA pressure Surface Consumption Rate for a particular tank,

Am I doing something wrong? Doesn't 1 bar/min on an AL80 translate to an RMV of just less than 0.4 cu-ft/min?

Who does their gas planning based on an RMV that low?

I generally base mine on 0.7, which is 1.8bar/min (on an AL80), if I did the arithmetic correctly. Suddenly the arithmetic is not any easier than just sticking with Imperial. Especially since I almost never use an AL80 anyway.

Moreover, what is the point of giving such a detailed explanation for how easy it is to calculate when the whole thing is based on such a very specific assumption of RMV and tank size? Especially when the assumed RMV is so much lower than what it seems like most recreational divers actually consume.

I know my SAC rate *don't use RMV, it's the wrong term, SAC is the right term

I believe my RMV runs 0.5cu-ft/min to 0.7, normally, depending on conditions. Why is RMV the wrong term for that? I thought RMV was the correct term for that and SAC would be the correct term if I said my SAC is 27 psi/min on an AL80.

I am not familiar with your funy imperial measurements. I work in metrics. For me SAC ( surface air consumption ) by my definition is the volume used in one minute at one bar. and RMV ( Respiratory minute Volume ) is ?

I am lost here. SAC is expressed in pressure for a given Bottle.

You guys seems to make it VERY complicated. HELP NEEDED HERE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom