Do you need different equipment if you want to go cold-water scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grundy707

Reaction score
As different to warm water scuba diving, is cold water diving definitely different when it comes to equipment? Other than maybe a thicker wetsuit, are their differences in equipment or the way you should shop for equipment?

One thing I would certainly suggest would be a redundant air source, in the event that your primary regulator should freeze up & free flow, to get you safely back to the surface. Yes, it is possible to breathe a free flowing regulator to the surface, but it will deplete you cylinder very quickly. I've done it from 95 ft. Some regulators are better suited for cold water than others. I use a high performance regulator, which is not really the best for that application, but I have also learned how to make it work for me on a dive. Also gloves & a hood may be necessary. Be aware, that unless you are used to gloves, thick ones will decrease your finger dexterity considerably. Hoods,.... God I hate hoods. A necessary evil in my book. Most people feel quite confined in them, some even claustrophobic. Make sure it doesn't get under your mask skirt, or you'll be flooding like crazy.

Last edited:
Yes......is the short answer......

But to give you a better answer - what temp range are you considering "cold" water?

M

From my perspective, if you are wearing a wetsuit it is not cold water......:wink:

M

Cold is a relative term, to give meaningful advice it is necessary to know what you consider to be cold. For some it is temperatures below 70 degrees and for others it can be temperatures below 40 degrees. This can significantly affect the requirements.

If by cold you are speaking of temps in the upper 40's or 50's, most regs are fine. Below that the the type of reg makes more of a difference. Of course, the colder the more exposure protection (or maybe change in type i.e. drysuit) is needed to include hoods (7mm), neoprene gloves (5-7mm), 6-7mm boots. Your BC should be fine as long as it has the lift needed for the extra weight you'll be wearing for the change in exposure protection. OF course my favorite piece of cold water diving gear is a plane ticket South:D

It would also help if you can give an idea about where you would like to dive. Updating your profile to include a location would be nice. (In the menu bar, go to the User CP (Control Panel). Your profile is the first link in the menu at the left.)

From your other thread, it might also help if you could let us know if where you want to learn to dive differs a lot from where you live or intend to dive. A lot of people who learn in tropical waters don't make the transition to cold home waters, for various reasons, even with additional training.

Your probably going to want to think about a drysuit, dry gloves or the classic 3-finger glove

Above 40degrees you really don't need anything different except a drysuit, hood, helmet or gloves. Below 30degrees you have to watch out which regulator you go with, you certainly will want a Drysuit, a hood, gloves. I found out the hard way that not all regulators are created equal and my reg froze into a solid block of ice in 30 degree water.

Back
Top Bottom