Do you Need a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Puget Sound (Washington) I noticed that all of my Instructors and Divemasters didn't have snorkels. So I don't use one. But when there is chop from the wind I do wish I have one.

After a while, and through practices you learn to detect water coming into your snorkel by feel (variation in the minor vacuum that you pull?) and you get the point that you have your glottis closed by the time the water gets there (if it gets there, cause you also learn to stop sucking instantly). I find that if I do not snorkel regularly this ability dims and I'll have a couple of miserable dives getting it back.

In the Puget Sound (Washington) I noticed that all of my Instructors and Divemasters didn't have snorkels. So I don't use one. But when there is chop from the wind I do wish I have one.

Why don't you use your regulator?

After a while, and through practices you learn to detect water coming into your snorkel by feel (variation in the minor vacuum that you pull?) and you get the point that you have your glottis closed by the time the water gets there (if it gets there, cause you also learn to stop sucking instantly). I find that if I do not snorkel regularly this ability dims and I'll have a couple of miserable dives getting it back.

Ok I see. I presume I have a similar thing going on without a snorkel in my mouth as if I happen to get water in my mouth I react like that.

We all know that video of the guy who has his second stage pop out of his mouthpiece, no? I had that happen once, it was no issue what-so-ever; and I credit the snorkeling with setting me up to handle the problem with ease.

Ok fair enough. With me, I put my reg in my mouth to swim out to dive sites as I always have heaps of air (can't remember the last time I ended a dive based on my remaining gas). This might be needed in other places but for the diving I do, if I want to see the bottom whilst swimming out, reg is fine, just don't need the extra air :)

I guess you've never had an O-ring or first stage blow on you? Remaining gas very quickly becomes an issue, I promise you.

BTW I'll admit to not owning a snorkel, but I feel real bad about it, so that's OK :)

You've missed the really good bits down to Cape Schank, where I used to live at the light station ha ha. Gales? Standing on a hundred metre cliff leaning into the wind at a forty five deg angle wearing a mask and snorkle to keep the horizontal rain from piercing my eye balls, at night velocity and direction change fall over. Not the cliff.
Rain peening my lips around.
Still didn't use the snorkle
Was under a helicopter when they brought a recently deceased ab poacher up, he was under it too but dangling from a wire in a cage and his buddies were more interested in who would take possession of his sack.
My snorkling was hanging outside the keepers cottage.
But I understand and agree with what every one is saying.
It's a great ocean out there.
I smash my gear and have been fortunate not to have lost an o ring u/w touch my head.

Last edited:
I guess you've never had an O-ring or first stage blow on you? Remaining gas very quickly becomes an issue, I promise you.

BTW I'll admit to not owning a snorkel, but I feel real bad about it, so that's OK :)

Yea I have. Both times I shut the post saving nearly all of the gas.

You've missed the really good bits down to Cape Schank, where I used to live at the light station ha ha. Gales? Standing on a hundred metre cliff leaning into the wind at a forty five deg angle wearing a mask and snorkle to keep the horizontal rain from piercing my eye balls, at night velocity and direction change fall over. Not the cliff.
Rain peening my lips around.
Still didn't use the snorkle
Was under a helicopter when they brought a recently deceased ab poacher up, he was under it too but dangling from a wire in a cage and his buddies were more interested in who would take possession of his sack.
My snorkling was hanging outside the keepers cottage.
But I understand and agree with what every one is saying.
It's a great ocean out there.
I smash my gear and have been fortunate not to have lost an o ring u/w touch my head.

Oh I missed your post before :) No I haven't dived at Cape Schanck yet. My experience diving the backbeaches has been at Diamond Bay, St Paul's + Mushroom Reef only so far :) Dived them a bunch but time to check out some new sites I reckon.

It does get rough I know :) I have a huge bruise on my back from my trip around Cape Woolamai yesterday from flying out of my seat on the boat after one of the waves... But even in rough conditions, haven't had trouble floating on the surface snorkel-less. Should I bring one to Cape Schanck?

I guess my point is that once you know how to properly wear and use a snorkel the price of wearing one is so low that not being properly prepared for even the "low chance" occurrences strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish.

I totally agree Thal, but I can appreciate the opinions of others who haven't had to deal with heavy surf, current and the rescue of another person in bad conditions.

Snorkels aren't something that's typically used in military or commercial diving, so my experience with them was rather limited up until 1991 when I was asked by the Canadian Coast Guard to develop their Rescue Swimmer Program. I subsequently attended the USCG Rescue Swimmer School in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, which really emphasised to me how important a snorkle can be. It quickly became clear that it would be on my minimum equipment standards list for Canadian Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers.

There were some sceptics, who were oddly enough recreational SCUBA Divers. When I presented the openwater portion of the first training program in Sambro, Nova Scotia, it became obvious to the attendees why a snorkel is so important. The sceptics were convinced. :)

You just can't be as effective in the water if you're on your back. Breathing in heavy surf can be a challenge; especially when that's not the only thing that you have to be concerned about. As you've pointed-out, helicopter downwash can be another complication.

I guess I've never seen a place where the ocean just doesn't get rough enough here for me to have trouble breathing without a snorkel. Were is this paradise?

Those well known calm waters of the North Atlantic and Pacific Ocean to name 2.

I've never seen an Ocean rough enough to think "that needs a snorkel" and if the swell is over 6 inches the things are useless anyway.

Weight yourself properly so you float nice and high. Swim on your back.

I don't carry a small portable TV with me when diving for the same reason i don't carry a snorkel - i don't believe in carrying objects completely and utterly useless for the dive as its extra clutter, extra weight and can actually be dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom