Do you Lobster Dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THE_AXEL:
I had a question....Do you need a license to get lobsters or i should say permitt. Hope you don't....P.S. I'm also from So Cal!!!!

Yes in So Cal you do need a Fishing Licenses with Ocean enhancement Stamp. You should be able to pick it up at Big 5 or Sport Chalet.

Divemaster-K:
Anyone interested in going out opening night in North County San Diego? Last year we held a contest for biggest bug. One of the local restraunts will cook it for you while you still have water in your ears.

They seem to have gotten smaller over the years. Ever see those vintage shots of SoCal divers holding up 20lb bugs?!

I am looking for dive buddies in North County for Lobster hunting too. Please let me know how should I meet you?

Well, I wanted to hunt bugs last year, but wasn't quite comfortable enough with diving at night to add hunting to it. This year, though, I'm ready!
My question is, once the bugs are caught and the diving's done, what do you do with them? Do you just bring a cooler and throw them in for the ride home? Do they need to be kept in water? When you get home, how do you store them before you eat them(in the freezer? Alive?). And finally, when you prepare them (I assume just boiled) do they need to be cleaned first? Anything special other than boil and eat?
Thanks!

If you keep them in water than they will use up the O2 in the water and will die. They can survive in air longer than they can in a small amount of water.
Jason

Yep, keep 'em cool and moist. I like to throw a wad of kelp in the cooler on top of them, and they will live 2-3 days. I've never tried to see just how long I can keep one alive, they get eaten before hard data can be reached! :wink:

For the world record holder american lobster(clawed), you'd find it in the Guinness Book of World records. I remember when I was kid they had a piture of the largest lobster ever caught. A trawler fished it out of the deep back in the 1970's and scientists said it probably was alive during the American Revolution. A 200 yr old lobster! Probably didn't taste too good!

My personal experience, I've seen a few just this year that were probably in the 8 to 10 pound range...over the 5 inch max limit for sure.

LobstaMan

saf_25:
And finally, when you prepare them (I assume just boiled) do they need to be cleaned first? Anything special other than boil and eat?

I'm sorry, but now you need to be taken outside and whipped with some neoprene by your significant other. BOILED???

There are so many great recipes for spiney's (your's don't have claw's) that boiling them is just a crime. You need to put them right next to an inch thick steak right on the BBQ grill.

Since most everyone's mouth's will be watering by this paragraph, I'd suggest starting a new thread{post} to discuss best cooking practices and preparation tips for a nice tail.

Thank God you didn't say Microwave it or we'd have a riot on this thread!!

Johnoly:
I'm sorry, but now you need to be taken outside and whipped with some neoprene by your significant other. BOILED???

There are so many great recipes for spiney's (your's don't have claw's) that boiling them is just a crime. You need to put them right next to an inch thick steak right on the BBQ grill.

Since most everyone's mouth's will be watering by this paragraph, I'd suggest starting a new thread{post} to discuss best cooking practices and preparation tips for a nice tail.

Thank God you didn't say Microwave it or we'd have a riot on this thread!!

OK, you've obviously never had Cajun style boiled crawfish. Use the same recipe for lobster...and it'll make you slap you're momma for never cooking it for you.

BUY THE BOOK Califronai Lobster Diving... Or something like that. Its an amazing book tells you everything you need to know... My first year was last year. Opening day all the Vetrans were telling me as a Rookie I would be lucky to touch one let alone keep one. Than someone pulled me aside and gave me a huge hint.

He said do not pick up the lobster at first. PIN IT DOWN to the rock or sand. Than adjust your grip so you have him, measure and bag.

As for cooking. the book i mentioned above has a great cleaning method. Snap off the attena take the bigger side push it throug starting from the tail side of the intestinal track turn it a half turn and pull. Everything you do not want to eat should come out. Than cut the tale in half. Turn the BBQ on and get the melted butter ready.... OH I CANT WAIT.

Back
Top Bottom