do you have to dive certain areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regul8r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just curious.. Seems that most of the posts I read are about specific lakes and certain areas on those lakes. Is there a reason for this? What prevents someone from diving a lake not normally hit by divers. Or diving a different area of the lake?
I inquired one time about Wilson lake here in KS, but apperantly no one has dived it for sometime. I would also be curious about Milford, Tuttle, Elk , Fall River..etc

You can dive many different lakes, however the ones you see listed are the ones that have good vis.

I've dove my local lakes that have swimming beaches, poor vis often less than a foot but you get wet and sometimes find things. Check with the management of the lake to insure it's ok for you to dive it.

To add to what was said in the first reply....

The areas you see listed for the lakes is usually the areas shore access. The lakes with the best vis are typically in very rocky, mountainous (for the midwest :D ) areas. Most divers don't own thier own boat, so access to the water is important.

FD

There's noting worse than muck you sink into up to your knees...

FD's got it right there.

regul8r:
I was just curious..
I inquired one time about Wilson lake here in KS, but apperantly no one has dived it for sometime. I would also be curious about Milford, Tuttle, Elk , Fall River..etc

We drove the 2 1/2 hours to Wilson a couple of weeks ago, swam 200yds on the surface to get to the area the locals said was good diving. 4 to 6 " vis and a LOT of underbrush. Not worth my time to go back there. As for some of the other lakes in the area we have dove Big Hill, John Redmond, Hillsdale, Miola, and Cheney, with a very limited success, we did get wet, and didn't have to surface to see the gages in some of them, but less than a foot vis. The muck on the bottom of most of these lakes you can stay out of with good bouyancy control, but that doesn't help with the suspended particals that kill the vis. If you are looking for something specific, and don't mind diving by feel, then you'll probably find other places to dive. Lights generally make it worse, similar to having your brights on in the fog, reflects the light rather than penetrating it. We have also dove:no strip pits, sand pits and gypmine ponds. It just ain't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom