Do you have to be GUE trained to be "DIR" ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have to be GUE trained to be "DIR" ??

Definitely not, but you have to to post in the DIR practitioners forum.:shakehead:

Lamont is very clear on what is adequate DIR understanding to post there. And its not just GUE.

Lamont is very clear on what is adequate DIR understanding to post there. And its not just GUE.

Recent PM sent after application to post on Dir practitioner's forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont
Bonjour,

I recently applied for membership in the DIR Practitioner group.

I have not received an answer to that request yet.

Do you need further information to approve my application?

Best regards

Belmont

Lamont's answer:

To get access to post, you need to have taken a DIR course from GUE or UTD.

I would have submitted the curriculum I followed to support my request.

When I started on the DIR "path" there were no GUE instructors in Montreal. I found one who has been teaching since before the start of GUE. He has for credentials the fact that he received his instructor training from JJ in the early days and has kept himself up to date on the developments of DIR instruction.

My first course with him was called Deep Diver (IANTD) but it had all the features and specifications of Fundies and more.

I am by no means an expert diver but I enjoy the sport and believe that it's even more important for someone who started late to get the most rigorous training possible.

I am proud to say I passed my intro-cave cert and on my way to full cave. I do it on an extended time frame so that I can enjoy it as I learn.

My goal in gaining access to the forum was to benefit from other's knowledge and share my DIR experiences

This might be something to take back to PM's. I think lamont is more than reasonable with granting access to those who don't post non DIR advice in the existing DIR forum. While I don't post in that forum often, it's nice to have a place to ask a DIR question or have a DIR discussion where DAaquamaster doesn't post "well this isn't DIR but....".

Personally I wish we could just ban a few unwanted participants like DAAquamaster from this area of the forum and then there'd be no need for the DIR practitioners forum.

Last edited:
Taking an IANTD (or NAUI or TDI etc) course is not a GUE course nor is it a UTD course, regardless of instructor. There are some exceptions in that forum for longstanding WKPP members and others who have never taken a GUE course.

Lamont's the only DIR mod left, he makes the rules, I am fine with them. Sorry, no hard feelings. Its not like there's much traffic there anyway, you aren't missing much.

When I started on the DIR "path" there were no GUE instructors in Montreal. I found one who has been teaching since before the start of GUE. He has for credentials the fact that he received his instructor training from JJ in the early days and has kept himself up to date on the developments of DIR instruction.

Well you never told me that, and I can't read your mind...

Having two degrees of seperation to JJ is a little iffy, but based on your posting history I'll approve it if you send me another request. Just try to avoid pissing off rjack and the regulars with the same old arguments...

Sounds familiar to me too!! That is why I am asking the questions I am. The main reason I asked is because I live in Texas and it is very expensive to spend weeks in Florida or California getting trained by UTD or GUE. I am going to take my fundies class this summer. But afterward I have come across some classes where I will be that are taught in a "DIR MANNER" but are taught by another agency. Some one in Texas needs to become a GUE instructor or one needs to move here. We are a big state with allot aspiring and current technical divers. There is money to be made here!!

Don't forget Inner Space Explorers.....

:popcorn:

I recently applied for membership in the DIR Practitioner group.

I have not received an answer to that request yet.

You are not alone. I was semi-interested in what is dicsussed in there as either the TDS or GUE forums maintains a segregated area which prevents lurkers like me from viewing.

Taking an IANTD (or NAUI or TDI etc) course is not a GUE course nor is it a UTD course, regardless of instructor. There are some exceptions in that forum for longstanding WKPP members and others who have never taken a GUE course.

Lamont's the only DIR mod left, he makes the rules, I am fine with them. Sorry, no hard feelings. Its not like there's much traffic there anyway, you aren't missing much.

I am drawing a direct correlation in attitude and infrequent posting all the while the ranks of GUE & UTD divers grows weekly...

You are not alone. I was semi-interested in what is dicsussed in there as either the TDS or GUE forums maintains a segregated area which prevents lurkers like me from viewing.

The DPF forum is openly-viewable so nobody has been preventing you from reading the forum.

I had a backlog of requests that piled up while I was diving down in MX that I just got through, so you've got access now.

The DPF forum is openly-viewable so nobody has been preventing you from reading the forum.

I had a backlog of requests that piled up while I was diving down in MX that I just got through, so you've got access now.

Fair enough. I got beat up today with long day in the sun diving and a bit cranky as a consequence....

Fair enough. I got beat up today with long day in the sun diving and a bit cranky as a consequence....

heh, usually its too much work and not enough diving that leads me to making cranky posts on scubaboard...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom