Do you guys bungee your pony second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff once bubbled...

I understand - it takes awhile to get used to the drunken turtle feel of swimming doubles, especially if you're moving at anything other than slow speed.

Perfect description: Drunken turtle. It was both embarrasing and comical.

It requires different finning and body positioning and then it's still wobbly. That's one of the reasons that I do a lot of my diving with a 120 with an H-valve installed on it. I'm not certain that a pony is going to be much different than doubles, however, whether slung stage-style or strapped to your main tank. Trim, especially, would seem to be more problematic with a pony, being an off-center variable weight.

I am going to climb in the pool tomorrow and try out the pony. What I'd really like is to attach it like a stage deco bottle, but I am wondering if it will allow the upper extremities enough range of motion to do things like take photos and spearfish.

Hopefully practice will allow you to prevail over your range of motion problem. Given that neither of us is DIR, have you considered a slob-knob? Extra failure/entanglement point, granted, but it might be worth the trade-off to be able to reach the knobs on your doubles.
Is a slob knob a valve handle angled for easier access? I don't do any penetration diving, but I do find myself inverted under ledges sometimes. I have one buddy who got stuck under a ledge and thought for sure he was a gonner. He was able to finally doff his BC and crawl out from underneath (he was alone), but those kinds of things make you worry about any snag hazards.
How do you feel about H-valves?
I'd welcome the chance to see someone's h-valve set-up. For me, it would probably be cost prohibitive, as I own 10 tanks. I like the idea of redundant stages.

I'm not giving up on the doubles yet. I have a good instructor I work with on technical issues, so it may just require getting used to it. However, unless I greatly improve in my ability to access those valves behind me, it's not going to be a good solution for me (which may also rule out the h-valve). Oh well, one of the fun things about all this is working through problems. Unfortunately, in my case, it's also one of the expensive things. I could have a scuba sidewalk sale in front of my house.

P.S.: Mike, thanks for those suggestions.

Tampascott,

I approach it this way:
1) The pony is for a redundant air sorce and should be set up for easy access by you or for handing off to an OOA diver. No neck slinging for me. I clip the reg to my waist band ring and loop extra hose under surgical tubing on the bottle.
2)Bottle is slung on the right side of my tank. Valve is always on BEFORE the dive. Given the reason for carrying a pony, why would anyone want to add a step to get that air? Also, a reg with a dry air bleed system first stage needs that air by design.
3)I mount my wreck light canister on the left side of my bc and behind me to offset the bottle. A slight weight adjustment on my integrated system(2lbs more in the left) and I'm set.

The result is a well trimmed setup with the ability to use my pony for handoff or personal use. My alt reg is a Sherwood Shadow(inflator integrated), so nothing gets slung around my neck. I would only do that if I were using doubles. Face it, an OOA diver wont ask for air, they will just take it! And they will most likely take your primary. Set yourself up so this wont be an issue.

IMHO

Jetwrench

Think of all the times you've seen someone diving and their equipment is trailing them. The potential for dammage to their gear is greater, and, if you've ever been with someone, or had the misfortune to have a situation where you have to go to your second things happen incredibly fast. Why wouldn't you want the fastest access, and the peace of mind that the regulator wasn't filled with debris or dammaged. I've heard the expression the triangle with respect to regulator and gear placement. One thing I took from the Cave Boys was a 7 foot hose on my primary regulator. THINK! If someone is comming after you for air that extra distance gives everyone room to operate. If this interests you type the Hogarthian diving method for more info.
As for DIR. There are alot of good ideas, and they want standardization and safe diving practice. Thats great, however, people are different. Some people, take any subject, get immeresed where they are blind to any thing else and thats bad. Look around you. Watch what works and makes sense. Money is always a concern but remember this is life support!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom