Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
String:
The main issue is people incorrectly stating its a safety device when it blatently isnt and then using flawed logic to try to justify it.

Thats all my post was aiming to show.

For you it obviously isn't. If you had one, you wouldn't be interesting in using it, therefore it is pointless to you and slowing you down. To someone who will use it, it may be a "safety" device to them. Most of us have probably pushed to exhaustion while skin diving and had to float to rest. I float comfortably on my back but some people do not - some people I have met actually panic on their back. For those who are only comfortable floating face forward, a snorkel has a purpose as a "safety" device for them. PADI doesn't write the rules exclusively for strong swimmers or highly experienced divers. They have to think about a poorly trained, weak swimmer who has been put into a position far exceeding their experience level. Some people in this group do not swim well without seeing where they are going, don't use swimmers techniques to keep from swallowing the sea when they turn every 30 seconds to look and they panic when they swallow water. PADI decided to require they wear a snorkel so they can swim face forward and have less reason to panic. Maybe PADI should have called it an optional device but then those who actually need it will are the most likely not to take it. We can argue all day that people this poorly trained or weak at swimming shouldn't be out there, but PADI still has to deal with it. I've spent much of my life in the water, dove as a boy and came back to be certified last year. I was very surprised at some of the people with weak water skills who get into diving. I'm still surprised how many people who can't swim want to get on my boat. They usually don't even ask for a life jacket until I make it clear they cannot step on board without it on. This is why PADI makes some hard to understand decisions. Any regulating agency has to make the rules for the lowest common denominator.

So for you it isn't conceivable as a safety device because you don't need it. For others who do, it is.

The first time you come up from a dive to FORMERLY calm seas into NOT calm seas, you are at your reserve tank pressure, and the dive boat isn't right in front of you, you will understand why it is always (yes, always) a darn good idea to have either a snorkel already on the mask, or easily placed. It beats all hell out of swallowing and/or trying to breathe seawater. And no, I'm not a newbie, I'm an old fart and proud of it!!!!

if you still have a gas reserve?

Put the reg in your mouth and breathe away. It'll be a lot drier than a snorkel in heavy seas.

snoozer:
The first time you come up from a dive to FORMERLY calm seas into NOT calm seas, you are at your reserve tank pressure, and the dive boat isn't right in front of you, you will understand why it is always (yes, always) a darn good idea to have either a snorkel already on the mask, or easily placed. It beats all hell out of swallowing and/or trying to breathe seawater. And no, I'm not a newbie, I'm an old fart and proud of it!!!!

Thats basically rubbish. Surface buoyancy is fine without a snorkel, breathing is fine, if you really arent confident, use your tank, at 1arm it'll last ages even on reserve.

If you're swallowing sea water you need to work on technique. Likewise a snorkel is totally ineffective and anything approaching rough seas.

snoozer:
Done that plenty of times and I beg to differ.
Never had a problem, not once and I have asscended to find seas big enough to throw me into the boat.

During the majority of dives they are completely worthless. If worn attached to the mask, they create a significant risk of entanglement, they can inadvertently unseat your mask, and they can interfere with the immediate use of other people's equipment. They interfere with gas sharing, but do so at the risk of dislodging your mask when donating gas in an emergency.

As for entanglement, the snorkel as typically worn is attached to the mask strap, and left free to rotate when not in use. This creates an entrapment hazard around the divers head, since the upper end of the snorkel tube can direct monofilament, kelp, or debris into a position where it can either exert force to dislodge the mask, or come loose from its parent object and hang from the snorkel, creating a hazard in the manipulation of other equipment.

In addition, if you are diving with a long hose for gas donation, the snorkel is in a position to catch the hose as the regulator is deployed, interfering with immediate donation, and pulling off your mask in the middle of a potential emergency.

On the surface, the snorkel neither conserves gas in your cylinders, or does not help you breathe better. All it does is create additional dead gas space which detracts from your capacity to get full breaths of fresh air. The snorkel does not provide you with air - the air is already there, and all you have to do to get at it is breathe. Exhaustion is made much worse by the increased CO2 resulting from the additional dead gas space. Within the context of a proper gas management plan, sufficient gas should be available to continue to breathe from the regulators for the duration of any anticipated surface swimming if conditions require it. If not, or if conditions change during a dive rendering the remaining gas useless for surface use, the diver is best served by breathing the surface air without the problems caused by use of a snorkel.

The best argument in favor of using a snorkel is the ability to breath without inhaling water when conditions are rough, as one might do without the snorkel. This is not true. In any sea state, the clear air is in the bottom of the wave troughs, and you need to time your inhalations to click with that position. Spray may be present in extremely heavy seas, but this originates from the wave crests. In the troughs, the airspeed is too low to support a liquid water load. Accordingly, it makes sense to draw air from the lowest possible position, instead of extending the height of the air inlet by using a snorkel. In addition, spray and breaking waves and so on can be managed simply by breathing through clenched teeth with the tongue as a splash shield. Even if you have to resort to doing this, you are better off this way than with the snorkel, since in a panic reaction you will breathe instinctively, which may be will not help due to the position of a snorkel inlet in any particular instance.

Swimming, or accomplishing any useful work in a heavy sea state is necessarily going to represent an elevated workload, and raise heart and breathing rates. This is the last place you want to introduce additional dead gas space as well as moving the air inlet to a position that does not enable you to discriminate against incoming water from breaking waves or spray without distracting your attention from other things.

The snorkel does allow you to breathe with your face in the water, but this is generally not an effective position for any purpose. Surface swimming in dive gear is more effective on your back, since you can generate more powerful fin strokes. You can follow a compass course this way, too. Surface swimming at all is actually less efficient than swimming completely submerged due to the effects of the water and the snorkel is a trap for kelp, sea weed or other floating debris.

Awareness is reduced with your face in the water, especially in areas with poor visibility. Keeping the head out of the water while surfaced enables you to see all surface traffic, hear all surface noises, and send and receive light and sound signals appropriate to the situation. Also, if you consider the scenarios which would require extensive surface swimming like emergencies, it makes sense to present as large a visual profile as possible, to help people which could be searching for you on the water's surface.

Snorkels are appropriate for snorkelling, in SCUBA the use of a snorkel is limited, and can be replaced by simply putting the reg in your mouth which is a better solution anyway.

OE2X:
If you are so concerned about losing them, then hand them to your buddy who should be positive since he hasn't had BCD failure.
I assume you are handing the weights to your buddy so he/she can drop them!

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

I wear a snorkel and a long hose (as you can see in my avitar).
I switched to a long hose about 5 years ago.
I do not have any problems deploying the long hose in air sharing situations. Any skill requires practice to master. If you haven't mastered it, you haven't practiced it enough. This has been a regular occurance for me as I've been teaching since 1978. It is policy by both agencies I was certified to teach under (NAUI and PADI), that a snorkle is an essential piece of equipment. I lead by example.
On occation, when diving personally (not teaching) I have tried not wearing my snorkel. More times than not I wished I'd had it on. After 33 years of diving I coninue to wear a snorkel today.

Mike D
NAUI 4780
PADI 202288
(Retired)

Being the shore diver that I am, I always use a snorkel for that. However the times that I did boat dives, I treated it as optional equipment. If I was dropping down the anchor line and staying around the shelf, I would leave the snorkel on the boat, but if I knew I would be kicking out a ways, then I would take the snorkel. Just depends on how much surface swimming I am going to do.

-Cynthia

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom