do you dive lakes in orlando area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FinaddictFred

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy everyone..New to this board and the Orlando area and was wondering if anyone dives the lakes around here and if so which ones. I've done some of the springs around here and on the west coast but am looking for as many options as I can find for short trips for 1 or 2 tank days.
Thanks all
:3eye:

The only lake I have dived in Lake Denton in Avon Park, FL and that's bout an hour from Orlando. Between fishing line, murk, gators, and pesticide run off from the orange groves I wouldn't ever dive a lake around here.

:( Was sort of what I was figuring for a reply..thanks Wendy

And lets not forget about the killer amoba...gets active when water tops 85 d. Never heard of a diver getting it...mask acts as a barriar...but dozens of kids have died from it entering thru the nostrels...survival rates are are nil after contacting the amoeba

Can't it enter through the ears also?

Thought I heard the somewhere.

Not sure I would dive the lakes around here either. We have an 8000 acre site and a 800 acre lake on it where I work. They did a survey that said we have about a gator per acre out here...some days they are so thick you could walk across the lake on their backs. Saw them pull a 10.5 foot one out the other day...think I would rather swim with sharks.

Search and recovery of lost items.

No problems with gators. I am not looking forward to my first snapping turtle.

The vis is typically horrid and the bottoms silt like a mother.

Better than not diving, but not very good.

Peter

bubbles. They steer well clear of divers... at least well clear of me! I dive the occaisional lake, esp when I am teaching navigation. Nothing better to train on a compass than limiting the student's sight!

Also Sheck Exley said that gators can't swim past 20' cuz they can't equalize their ears and the pressure is to great for them. I don't mind gators cuz they have them around when I cave dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom