Do you carry a FIRST AID kit in your car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. The only place where I do any significant amount of shore diving is Bonaire and I try and leave nothing in the truck. I do however have a basic first aid kit that I travel with.

Red Cross first aid kit + CPR mask. When I find a cheap O2 bottle, I will carry it as well.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 01:37 PM ----------

I kind of like the emergency bandages that the military uses. I think they're easier to put on than loose dressings and duct tape. Also, I prefer sports tape over duct tape, I believe it's useful for more different (medical) incidents than duct tape is.

CPR training...

My reasoning for leaving them out is actually to keep as little specialized equipment as possible. It keeps it cycled. I know I always have what I need! And if you can fit CPR-training in a kit, I'd consider it... but I still do that twice a year at work (and of course a few times for real....)
Good luck in getting sports tape to stick if there is any kind of moisture present.
Now... The reasoning for duckttape in stead of any of the millons of different kinds of medical tapes...
Remember ABC.... A: With sportstape you can, in the case of a car crash ensure free airways by taping the head to the neck-rest of the car. This frees hands!
Now... Even Duct-tape cannot make a person breathe....
C: Duct-tape will stick to wet surfaces. (Type, bloody, sweaty and so on) It is quick, and not fiddly)
Is the foot broken? You can splint it.
With those few items I listed, I think you can manage just about any situation that doesn't demand medications or invasive procedures. (Ie, IV-kit, Intubation-kit)
At least... I have never needed anything else the last 10 years....

if you can fit CPR-training in a kit, I'd consider it...
You can. When you've got it, it takes no room at all :wink:

More seriously, my point was rather that a first aid kit is of limited value if you can't do basic first aid. So IMO a first aid course, including CPR training which has saved some lives over the years, may be more useful than "stuff".

but I still do that twice a year at work (and of course a few times for real....)
AFAIK you're a nurse. Most of us aren't, and some of us probably even wouldn't know what to do with a first aid kit, much less with a lifeless person, if SHTF. I'm even slightly worried that my own first aid training may be getting a bit stale, since it's been a couple of years now since I practiced it. :no: Perhaps it's time to look for a refresher course...

Duct-tape will stick to wet surfaces.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

I R nurse

and i carry Israeli pressure dressings and a couple super duper fire estinguishers, bolt cutters, and

a medical pack the Marines were replacing as outdated (trauma supplies including quick clot and tourneys)

ASA and Iv fluid

and my very cool brand new Alive Corp device which can do several ECG lead rythm recordings and send as text message file (works with smart phones). Excellent for id of v tach a fib etc

is a simple 70 dollar metal plate for thumbs and communicates to i phone or android

---------- Post added September 9th, 2015 at 03:31 PM ----------

Oh and i have KI pills in vehicle in case San onofre nuke plant meltsdown and i stuck on the I 5. :wink:

YES... In the Car, Boat and pick-up... Put one in the kids cars when they started driving, That and jumper cables... small air compressor... Flash light... Fix a Flat.... Wool army blanket in plastic bag... Flares... Small tool box... Pistol in my car ( CC )

Better to have it and not need it, Then to need it and NOT have it... I Live by that .....

Jim...

I have a plastic container with gauze, wraps, antiseptic, bandages, and painkillers. It's not well stocked right now, but we take it with us on our dive trips that are driving distance. Our local diving is currently all shore based so the kit stays in the car located near the entry point.

Still planning to add a CPR kit, and eventually oxygen.

Thanks for the thread! Giving me ideas on what I should add to my kit!

Well stocked First Aid Kid (short of an AED), Sure do!
O2? Not yet.

Since my drives to dive sites involve quite a bit of driving (over 1000km thru mountain ranges), there are a few other additions:

Battery Booster pack (in leu of jumper cables)
Shovels
-40C Boots & Clothing
Food & Water

BRad

I started packing the first aid kit right after doing Rescue course. Might as well. I don't really need it assisting classes as we have the shop stuff along of course. My wife actually did CPR on a guy at a pool when she life guarded age 16. Some jobs/professions obviously have a use for it regularly. The only time I've even seen CPR done has been on TV, knock wood.

First aid kit is always in the car. I usually bring a tank of O2 and a RescuEAN when diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom