Do Witches Sink in Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oya

Rebreather Pilot
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
You know that moment when you're trying to hold absolutely still, but you wind up swimming around in circles?

Or when you get to a safety stop and you know that you've been absolutely neutrally buoyant for the whole dive, but for some reason 15 feet seems especially tricky today?

Yeah. You're not alone.

I'm not going to lie, it's not the easiest fix, but it is fixable. Blog post HERE.

(I know there are some folks who get techy when I post links to the blog instead of copying content to here. But every time I have tried to copy content the formatting goes so utterly haywire it renders the material unreadable. More unreadable than it already might be.)

Trim and buoyancy solve this issue. If your trim is off, then the buoyancy you have while swimming changes when you stop. Yes, even tiny amounts of bad trim can cause a problem. The worse the trim, the worse the sinking.

A friend with a camera will help you discover how bad you are. Here's a fun way to improve your hovering and the use of your lungs to control your buoyancy:

Underwater Jenga...
6 or more 2-pound soft weights​
Try to build houses with two weights as walls and one as a roof​
Try for a second level​
Laugh every time you fail!!!​
Don't run out of air.​
Repeat as long as it's still fun!​

Fails include landing on the bottom or floating too high as you pick up and drop the two-pound weights, swimming over the Jenga, or watching your Jenga collapse. Best done in a shallow (6 ft) pool. Remember to breathe and also to laugh each and every time you mess up. Frustration is counter productive.

Very small rocks

Very small rocks
If you want frustration. :D My first brush was on a rebreather in Blue Grotto. Trim is still very important, but you can't easily breathe yourself up and down.

Build a bridge out of her

Many people here are wise in the ways of science.

I found that my buoyancy was way off after I got turned into a newt.

Very small rocks

Don’t mind Pete, I got your joke… :)

@The Chairman I’m confused by *soft* weight. How do you do anything other than make a pile? With hard weight, you could actually build a house by leaning blocks against each other and putting a roof. But I’m unclear how you do that with bags of shot?

There are a couple of guys I work with on buoyancy. We do the typical things you might imagine. The first thing we try to do is simply *stop*. Don’t move your fins at all and see if you can do that for 30 seconds. Crazy how hard that is. Then things like the Basic 5 (very basic mask and reg movements). Just that tiny bit of task loading is great for moving you around when you don’t want to.

But building hoses of weights underwater sounds quite fun. And whimsical, which has its own value, too. Don’t forget about the laughing… :)

Reactions: oya
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom