Do seals bite scuba divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they act like dogs ... but physically, they're far more like bears than dogs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

they act like dogs ... but physically, they're far more like bears than dogs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tell me about it, a fun loving sea lion wanted me to play so bad it bit a hole in my boot and a couple of cuts on my ankle. A little more exuberant and it would have taken out my Achilles tendon. It also took some material off my buddy's suit but did not break the skin.

Not necessarly a good dog.

Bob

Tell me about it, a fun loving sea lion wanted me to play so bad it bit a hole in my boot and a couple of cuts on my ankle. A little more exuberant and it would have taken out my Achilles tendon. It also took some material off my buddy's suit but did not break the skin.

Not necessarly a good dog.

Bob

He's just making you a member of the herd ... it's how they play with each other ...

DSC00232.JPG

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know that, but I didn't know how tough the initiation was going to be. I've seen some beat up sea lions, and this one had me by at least 200#, several inches, and water skills..

Bob

You forgot to mention the pointy things they have as well that you don't have

You forgot to mention the pointy things they have as well that you don't have
You mean dentures? :p

Teeth yup. Ours aren't quite as pointy as theirs.

A few years ago there was a female diver on a scientific trip to Antartica. She was under water and killed when a sea lion ripped off her mask. I think she was under ice. May have been a seal not sure.

A few years ago there was a female diver on a scientific trip to Antartica. She was under water and killed when a sea lion ripped off her mask. I think she was under ice. May have been a seal not sure.
Kirsty Brown was killed by a leopard seal in 2003 while snorkeling. Apparently the leopard seal wasn't seen prior to the attack. Most people will not dive around leopard seals.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom