Do OEM's control who services equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My LDS informed me that they were only able to service regs purchased from authorised dealers (which means that anyone owning used equipment is SOL, as is anyone who purchases from internet suppliers). They told me it was a requirement placed on them by Aqualung. Is this true or were they just chosing not to service my equipment? Do any of the OEM's tell their dealers they must not service equipment without proof of purchase form an authorised dealer?

DrSteve:
My LDS informed me that they were only able to service regs purchased from authorised dealers (which means that anyone owning used equipment is SOL, as is anyone who purchases from internet suppliers). They told me it was a requirement placed on them by Aqualung. Is this true or were they just chosing not to service my equipment? Do any of the OEM's tell their dealers they must not service equipment without proof of purchase form an authorised dealer?
I'm not in the business, but as far as I know it's a load of hooey. My LDS has been willing to service any number of regs I bring to them, none of which were purchased there. I don't get the work done under warranty, but they'll gladly charge me for it.

DrSteve:
I've had a Dacor(old), used Poseidon, and Atomics regulator, serviced at one of three different LDS's and no one ever commented on it or asked to see any proof of purchase. With the Poseidon, they knew I didn't buy it there as they're not a dealer. Not warranty work though, I paid service charges.

Aqualung places no such restrictions on their authorized dealers. If you own an Aqualung regulator (including Apeks, etc.) any authorized dealer is permitted (and, indeed, should) service your regulator.

Warranty coverage is a different issue. In order to qualify for free parts, warranty coverage requires that the owner be able to show proof of purchase from an authorized dealer and proof of annual service by an authorized dealer.

As long as you are willing to pay for parts, any authorized dealer is authorized to service any regulator. If your shop is an authorized dealer and won't service their brands for any reason, get in touch with the manufacturer and ask them for help.

Aqualung has a website at www.aqualung.com. If you would like to verify whether or not a retailer is an authorized Aqua Lung Dealer, please call: (760) 597-5000.

I suggest that any LDS giving you a line like this be told that they will not be getting ANY of your business.

Second, if they insist that this is true that they give you copies of official documents clearly stating the policy.

If they can't show it to you on paper then they are blowing smoke for the purpose of ripping you off.

reefraff:
Warranty coverage is a different issue. In order to qualify for free parts, warranty coverage requires that the owner be able to show proof of purchase from an authorized dealer and proof of annual service by an authorized dealer.

As long as you are willing to pay for parts, any authorized dealer is authorized to service any regulator. If your shop is an authorized dealer and won't service their brands for any reason, get in touch with the manufacturer and ask them for help.

I think that about covers exactly what I would have said...

Scott

I do most of the service work at our LDS, we do not refuse any brand. If it is a brand we do not carry, we offer the customer some choices. They can leave it with us, we'll send it to an authorized dealer or we'll help them find an authorized dealer. Another option we offer as a last resort is that we will service it if we can find the parts and we have a manual.

That is a hoggish way of business... Technically, any LDS can refuse the warranty service even though you bought the equipment from other authorized dealers. That is, if you don't buy it from them, they are just pissed off because they couldn't rip you off by threatening the warranty and part issue. Don't go there. Otherwise, you are just money hole in their perspectives.

I am quite familiar with shops that only service brands they carry, and that makes a whole heck of a lot of sense to me. If they aren't a dealer, they don't have the dealer support, and they don't have schematics, or the proper o-ring kits to replace with. But having a dealer tell you they won't service your reg that they are a dealer of because you don't have proof of purchase or something like that, well you need to call the company and let them know, distributors choose dealers that are polite and represent the product well, if the dealer is doing a disservice to the company, the company likely wants to know about it.

DrSteve:
Did the LDS check the reg’s serial number? A used regulator could possibly be counterfeit, gray market, or stolen at one time. The LDS could legitimately say they are only able to service regs originally purchased from authorized dealers. Otherwise, they should have happily serviced it.

And fwiw, some internet suppliers are authorized dealers for some OEMs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom