Do laser pointers work underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a pair of these last year to measure goliath grouper underwater. The green is so much more effective vs the red. As we divers should know, water filters red light, so red is a very poor choice for underwater laser apps. These z-bolts are just Ok. It would better if I could easily turn them on just momentarily to reduce risk of hitting an eye, so I'm working on something custom for that this year. High power laser diodes are cheap. Anyway, here is some video of the lasers I first used (z-bolt):
Using lasers to effectively measure marine life size

I used a pair of these last year to measure goliath grouper underwater. The green is so much more effective vs the red. As we divers should know, water filters red light, so red is a very poor choice for underwater laser apps. These z-bolts are just Ok. It would better if I could easily turn them on just momentarily to reduce risk of hitting an eye, so I'm working on something custom for that this year. High power laser diodes are cheap. Anyway, here is some video of the lasers I first used (z-bolt):
Using lasers to effectively measure marine life size

Interesting. Can you walk me through how the lasers were used for measuring purposes? Keep in mind science wasn't my strongest subject. :wink:

You know the distance between laser 'dots' (in this case calibrated to 10cm) so when you review the video, you freeze frame and can project a scale accordingly on the subject.

I have been meaning to try but never got around to it. A normal laser pointer in a sealed waterproof plastic bag filled with mineral oil should work. Will be a lot cheaper as mineral oil and plastic bags cost next to nothing.

hey guys who own a z-bolt scuba green laser, can someone post a pic of the oring, i just bought one and it doesnt come with an oring ! did u get orings with a new purchase, i found only the oil in there

Don't do it! It's a short step from pointers to full blown weapons and then someone will have the idea of strapping them on sharks' heads!

I have a green laser which works very well. Great for pointing out hard to see items on the reef. Some fish will chase the spot on sandy bottoms. You can see the entire light beam on night dives.

And, no, I don't shine it in the eyes of any critters except lion fish.

I have this one.

Underwater Green Laser for Scuba Diving & Marine Use, Waterproof to 200 ft

How is a lion fish different from any other "critter"? Cheers

Anyone remember those Russian spearguns years back (Sea Bear, I think)? They had laser sights available and there might still be a few floating around out there.

Back
Top Bottom