Do instructors and employees get discount on scuba gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I catch this statement correctly???.......:

"For instructors can you get discount at ANY store for showing your cards?"........

I would kinda doubt it---owner would probably give a door discount ie no charge for showing him the way out thru the door.....

I am in sales and have been for a long time. If your competant in the bussiness you know typically weather you work for a Dive Store or not it does not matter. You should always aim for 25-30% off MSRP. If that shop is not willing to give it to you then search around. There is a Dive shop that is willing to follow the old saying I would rather make something then nothing. Again might take some work but stay persistant and you will get it. I have gotten that or slightly more off all my gear. Depending there are times when it's 20% but If i am not getting that or very close to that I pass on it till I do.

Did I catch this statement correctly???.......:

"For instructors can you get discount at ANY store for showing your cards?"........

I would kinda doubt it---owner would probably give a door discount ie no charge for showing him the way out thru the door.....
To elaborate on what diver 85 wrote...
In case the OP was wondering, the instructor card really doesn't function as a universal discount card. As I mentioned in my post, those dive professionals affiliated with a dive shop that sells scuba merchandise can usually access keyman discounts. Depending on the manufacturer, even "independent" dive professionals may be able to access keyman discounts (refer to Jim Lapenta's post above).

True but to clarify the discounts come from a shop that I refer my students to for gear, use his pool, and make a good bit of purchases there myself. I don;t work for any shop but I do work WITH them. And that seems to make a difference. Smart owners take care of those who can send them business.

The dive stores that i have work for will furnish all the gear except your mask fins and snorkle and free air.Every fall your gear will be sold with the rental gear and you get new stuff.
The Co. i teach furnish every thing except your BVDs and free air.

Every year dive shops will receive "dealers only" pricing catalogs from manufacturers and in them contain all items, descriptions, and pictures of current line scuba gear. There is a table, for each item, showing price catagories such as dealer costs follow by volume discount rates say at 3%, 6%, 9% and so on for example. Some called it 'pro-deal', others called it 'Elite', 'Network', but they're all the same - volume discount rates below cost if you buy more. Keyman discount is usually 15%-20% below cost and is not unlimited or without conditions. Some manufacturers would want the dealers to have a minimum purchase of say $5,000 per year to get that keyman discount. And then the dealer is limited to a few sets of scuba item, from each catogary, at that keyman rates. Owners of dive shops will probably keep the keyman rates for themselves while employees and intructors get the cost/cost + rates. So, it all depends on how much dealers purchase from the manufacturers to pass along the savings. This is recalling from my memory so don't count on it to be 100% accurate.

Yes, depending on your qualifications, status and relationship with the dealer.

to tie this to other posts:
Consider how anemic the pay can be for instructors...
Now it only makes sense for the shops and mfr's to make NEW gear reasonably obtainable by the (broke/poor)people who are typically the most influential towards new divers' gear purchase choices. If you were the owner/product rep wouldn't it make dollars and cents that the gear a new diver sees being used by their "PRO" be readily available for purchase at the store they currently are dealing with??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom