Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove for nearly 35 years without a computer but bought my first one when I started doing a lot of repetitive and deco dives. I wear two for redundancy (have had computer batteries die on me in the middle of a dive). None of my computers cost more than $250. As a starving marine biologist, I wouldn't even think of spending $1,000+ for a computer!

Not sure if I should post on this as so far I have only done dives where basic knowledge of tables was enough and guide had a computer. However When buying my BCD and Regs the seller felt I should be getting a computer. When he is teaching divers it one of the first things he advises. We had a chat about them why some were £150 and some £1000 plus. A comment he made was similar to previous post. Preference was for 2 identical cheaper ones, so you have a backup if one goes wrong and if readings diverge between the two you know something is going wrong. Not unknown for batteries to work fine after being in a warm vehicle prior to the dive, but for output to become too low to operate computer when they cool to 12 or 14 Deg C or lower on a dive.

I am yet to buy a DC that downloads data. I would love the feature, but the cheapest I have seen the cable for sale for is $88. That seems like gouging to me, a cable costing almost a quarter of the cost of the computer.

I have seen enough instances of transmitters having spotty function ( one guy actually hung his PDC from the yoke of hi tank to make sure it recorded the dat).

With as fast as technology is advancing I think Bluetooth on the majority of dive computers will be the norm to transfer the dives to a computer with no cable needed. Shearwater computers are Bluetooth capable now but they are towards the upper end of the cost spectrum. Im not sure if there are others but I find it hard to believe there isn't.

With as fast as technology is advancing I think Bluetooth on the majority of dive computers will be the norm to transfer the dives to a computer with no cable needed. Shearwater computers are Bluetooth capable now but they are towards the upper end of the cost spectrum. Im not sure if there are others but I find it hard to believe there isn't.

I have to admit that giving the Bluetooth on my Shearwater a try was fun--it was just so easy--even though I don't plan to make a habit of downloading dives. However, I do appreciate the ability to update the firmware via Bluetooth. Cables are so old school. :wink: (Says this old school-minded diver.) Now there is an improvement over older dive computers: the ability to update firmware for bug fixes, added features, etc. I remember 10+ years ago having to send my Suunto to the service center to have firmware updated to fix a bug they had found.

I would recommend a person buy the computer with the features he/she wants balanced by a priice they can afford. Just like everything else we buy. Why so complicated?

However, I do appreciate the ability to update the firmware via Bluetooth. Cables are so old school.

As long as BT stack itself doesn't get updated you'll be fine.

As long as BT stack itself doesn't get updated you'll be fine.

Don't burst my bubble. Just when I'm feeling a little more confident in relying on technology.

When i was looking for a new computer I ended up with a perdix AI. the OLED screen was a huge deciding factor for me. Around here vis is typically 5-15 feet with 20-25 being good.
Not having to hit a backlight button and all of the info I want on the screen In big numbers is great.
I like the AI and Bluetooth and the graph shows that log everything. I enjoy looking at it and comparing dive to dive stats.
Required ? No but im happy with my purchase.

Once during a complete silt out in a cave (believe it or not, it wasn't a dangerous situation), I looked at a Shearwater Petrel readout, which I could read clearly despite all that silt. It wasn't mine. Reading that computer was the only way I knew anyone else was in there with me. I could not see the arm to which it was attached.

On a dive on the Miles Roche powerhouse, a diver was inside one of the large pipes and silted it out. Couln't see much, but he saw my Petrel 2 just at the mouth.

One thing I wonder is why all this focus on SPG, but not on depth gauges. I feel like if I couldn’t read my pressure, but I knew depth and time, and it was a farmilar depth, I might figure, well this tank lasts x amount of time at this depth so if no weird bubbles I’m good—but if I didn’t know depth, I mean gas consumption is so depth dependent...am I missing something here?

Oh yeah the computer has the depth gauge yawn it’s getting late

Well sure, you need a depth gauge more than you need the SPG if you already know your air consumption based upon previous experiences. When I used to dive with no SPG I knew how long my air would last for a particular dive, and if I did run out of air before I expected to (actually, that never happened) I would surface and swim back to the boat or shore. So, out of all the devices, I would have to say that a watch or bottom timer is the one that you can't (shouldn't) ever dive without. I have ran out of air on several occasions but I knew I was running out of air but was absorbed in some fascinating thing or another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom