Do I really need a tray or pole for my GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasteve03

Registered
Reaction score
I am about to buy my first GoPro (actually first underwater camera of any kind). I have been scanning this forum and it seems everybody mounts their GoPro to either a tray or a pole. I realize that if you want to add lights, a tray is mandatory, but I don't plan on adding lights (at least not right away). I can see where a pole would be good for taking self-shots and getting closer to sea life, but neither of those things are as important to me as keeping the camera very compact in size. I have seen where people suggest using a tray helps with stability. I don't plan on using my camera to film the whole dive, just want it with me to film any cool stuff I see. Is it hard to stabilize the camera by just holding the case during a short 15-60 second filming clip? One thing that has really attracted me to the GoPro is how small it is, even with a waterproof case. I was hoping to just clip the camera/case to a retractor on my BCD to use when I see something cool. Will this not work? Do I pretty much need a tray or a pole?

I recommend a telescoping pole. Takes some of the jittery out of your video and lets you get the camera closer without you having to fit in small spaces.

I personally like a head mount. Its not my primary camera, but I like to take snipits from the footage.

Dunno, headmount has a lot of problems.

1) Keeping your head still is very hard.
2) Exhaust bubbles sometimes

1) I dont find it that hard, but then Im doing a close up shot with the go pro.
2) Correct.

But then I dont use the gopro as my primary camera. Head mount doesnt allow for lights or anything else, but I still have good interesting shots. It also is a replay of what I was looking at. I carry another camera (still a cheap one) when I actually want some better shots. The gopros just provide "reliving" the experience with the family instead of TV reruns at the hotel.

I have attached it to my dive light if not carrying a photo rig. Im looking into finding a handlebar mount or such to attach it to the strobe arm of my DSLR setup so that Itll film whatever Im shooting - could be handy for sharks and such :)

I have attached it to my dive light if not carrying a photo rig. Im looking into finding a handlebar mount or such to attach it to the strobe arm of my DSLR setup so that Itll film whatever Im shooting - could be handy for sharks and such :)
ULCS makes a setup that you can attach to your hotshoe if you don't use that.

Im gonna need that attachment on the top for a focus light..

Back
Top Bottom