Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of you folks may not use computers but I think you are really taking a big risk! I mean BIG RISK!

I think I can say with complete confidence that every diver that doesn't use a computer will eventually die.

A while back I lost my Suunto Vyper wrist computer while attempting to gear up off a kayak. I fumbed it as my buddy inadvertently overturned my kayak while I was trying to put stuff on in the water.
Anyway, I haven't replaced it because I don't have the money right now. I went back to tables instead. I actually like using the tables. I've gotten to the point where I have memorized a lot of the bottom times at different depths. Most of the diving I do is single tank, 60 to 80 feet max. A lot of the dives are shore dives and so there is most times a gradual decent and accent as we follow the ocean floor out and back in. On the deeper dives or open ocean diving off boats I always do a series of stops starting at 30 to 50 feet depending on what the max depth was.

Has anyone here given up the computer for one reason or another and just gone back to doing the math in the head?

For myself, I really don't miss it, but it was one of the things they told us we absolutely had to have.

I have only recently bent to the weight of the masses to conform to the wishes of the mediocre and purchased two computers. I am now a lazy conformer who rides his computer like it were a cheap amusement park ride. I used to have three brain cells so I was able to spare one for underwater on the fly computations, now I am down to only two and they seem occupied with fending off a wave of Kool-Aid drinking scuba divers pregnant with scuba misinformation. I cannot win all battles, so I hide the dang computer in my pocket. Woe is me, traitor to the tables. :shakehead:

N

Some of you folks may not use computers but I think you are really taking a big risk! I mean BIG RISK!

I think I can say with complete confidence that every diver that doesn't use a computer will eventually die.

You too will eventually die with or without a computer. :rofl3: :popcorn:

(one who uses an expensive computer in gauge mode)

Short answer----no........my 1st 900 or so dives was without one........But, if you don't use a computer, you will get less BT in per outing.....Example:eek:n the Fling(GofM live aboard to the Flower Gardens) you will ONLY get 4 dives in on day 1 without a computer VS. 5 dives with a computer........

You too will eventually die with or without a computer. :rofl3: :popcorn:

(one who uses an expensive computer in gauge mode)

At least someone got it!

I consider the tables my bible and my computer as my backup. I guess I spent too much time using Microsoft's operating system to trust the computer with my life! If I ever have a conflict, I default to the most conservative just to be safe.

I consider the tables my bible and my computer as my backup. I guess I spent too much time using Microsoft's operating system to trust the computer with my life! If I ever have a conflict, I default to the most conservative just to be safe.
It's a good thing you're not using the Christian Operating System. It only allows Jesus to save. Everyone else has to retype their stuff every time the computer reboots or the power goes out.

I have only recently bent to the weight of the masses to conform to the wishes of the mediocre and purchased two computers. I am now a lazy conformer who rides his computer like it were a cheap amusement park ride. I used to have three brain cells so I was able to spare one for underwater on the fly computations, now I am down to only two and they seem occupied with fending off a wave of Kool-Aid drinking scuba divers pregnant with scuba misinformation. I cannot win all battles, so I hide the dang computer in my pocket. Woe is me, traitor to the tables. :shakehead:

N

So you finally succumed to peer pressure and now you feel a little ashamed for doing so. Yep, a traitor to the tables you are.

All is not lost because that third brain cell is still working. It didn't die. Now your challange is to find something useful for it to do since it no longer has to spend its time doing underwater, on the fly, computations.

Unemcumbered by that needless distraction your third brain cell will begin to enjoy life much more and, assuming you're able to overcome the shame of it all, you'll be a happier diver.

I hope you don't find yourself dwelling in the past trying to figure out why you waited so long to utilize and enjoy the benefits of a dive computer. It's okay. You shouldn't let it bother you. You may find you like it when someone sees you as being a comtempary.

:D

Back
Top Bottom