Do I need to buy an expensive Regulator???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pablovi

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry to post this question but I've done my search around the forum and I'm a little confussed.

I know Tusa is not very popular here, but it's just becuase it's not as avalaible in the US as other brands? or is it because their products are not of the best quality? In my country Tusa is widely available, mainly because it's cheapear than most brands, so I was thinking on buying my first regulator of that brand, an RS-130. I only have 10 logged dives, and I'm goin to start my Advanced Open water course, so is that regulator Ok, or what would you recommend?

Does my first regulator needs to be an expensive one, is not that I'm trying to be cheap, but I don't want to spend on things that I wouldn't be using to it's full capacity. I'm just a recreational diver.

All the equipment I have right now is from Tusa (Fins, Boots, suit, Snorkel, mask and BC) So I was planning on staying with one brand, but I'm not sure if that's a good decision anymore.

I really don't know what other brands are available here, since most of the equipment I've seen is Tusa, but if you can recommend me anythign else, I will look for it.
Oh, one think you have to take in account is that we pay about double here of what you pay for your equipment in the US, and the newest equipment won't be available.

Thanks in advanced

It's all personal preference and what type of diving you'll do. No need to get something expensive for recreational diving, just whatever is comfortable to you. Find what you like, make sure you can get it serviced easily. That's all that matters.

Skyjunky:
It's all personal preference and what type of diving you'll do. No need to get something expensive for recreational diving, just whatever is comfortable to you. Find what you like, make sure you can get it serviced easily. That's all that matters.

Thanks for your reply! Well, Besides my deep diving speciality course, that they will provide me with a good depth regulator, I will mainly do recreational diving at the most 40m deep but mainly above 30m.

pablovi,

You need not buy a top of the line regulator. As an entry level recreational diver, a less expensive regulator - properly maintained and cared for - will work fine. TUSA is a good manufacturer, and their product will serve you well. Make sure you have any regulator serviced at regular intervals.

It isn't important that you purchase all your equipment from only one manufacturer.

It IS important that you purchase your equipment from a location where, if it requires maintenance, breaks, fails, or is damaged, you can have it repaired or replaced. Purchase equipment that you, in your location, can ensure is safe and in good working order.

Enjoy your Advanced Open Water course, and welcome to ScubaBoard.

Doc

Hi pablovi,
You wil probably find that most people on this board will recommend Apeks, Aqualung, Zeagle or Scuabpro. But as a general rule any of the popular brands will do you just fine - Tusa, Apollo, Oceanic, Poiseidon to name a few. Obviously the popularity in your area will be dicated by the distributorship. Its always a good idea to stick with a brand that is common in your area, or the area in which you will be doing most of your diving.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that if you have a choice between one reg, and another one which is a little more expensive but more comfortable or breathes better for you, or you just plain like it better, your regulator is going to still likely to be going strong two decades from now. I just bought my second (Aqualung Legend LX) after diving with my Oceanic Omega for 15 years.

Thanks everyone, I will buy the Tusa then, they can service it here, it's cheap and I only go diving about once or twice a year for a week each, so I don't dive that much.

Doc Intrepid:
It IS important that you purchase your equipment from a location where, if it requires maintenance, breaks, fails, or is damaged, you can have it repaired or replaced. Purchase equipment that you, in your location, can ensure is safe and in good working order.
I wouldn't have any problem if I was in MX City buying from a dealer mail order, and seeing if I could have it serviced by a local dealer, or do it by mail with someone like ScubaToys.

You might take into account, though, that Doc I. is a lot smarter than me. eyebrow

Back
Top Bottom