Do I need exposure suit for Belize or Florida Keys in Nov?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning a dive trip to either Belize or Florida Keys in three weeks. Do I need to wear expose suit? I plan on diving 2 to 3 tanks per day. My body is generally on the warm side.

Hi,
I'm planning a dive trip to either Belize or Florida Keys in three weeks. Do I need to wear expose suit? I plan on diving 2 to 3 tanks per day. My body is generally on the warm side.

I have never dived Florida.

I dived in Belize in June 2005 and again in June this year. During both Belize trips I wore an old rental 3/2 shorty doing two dives per day, occassionally a third.

During the 2005 trip we had sunshine all vacation, and a faulty zipper on my second-to-last dive day had me diving in just swimsuit for two dives; I liked it so much my last day of diving was also just swimsuit for two dives (this was after 4-5 days of diving).

During the 2008 trip we caught some inclement weather -- some showers and wind. While the water temps were roughly the same as 2005 (+/- 80 - 82F), the surface intervals and boat rides to dive sites were considerably different environments. If raining, I was glad to have the shorty; even without rain, I tended to keep a rash guard on my upper body and the shorty on my waist -- it wasn't so much that I ever felt "cold" on the surface or in the water as it was that I didn't feel like I was "warming my core" as much (though this was probably a psychological concern as opposed to actual warming). In any event, I wasn't convinced to repeat my past practice of diving in just a swimsuit during the first part of the vacation and during the later I was dealing with the weather.

I too am generally on the warm side. Based on my Belize experience, I think I could probably get by and be comfortable with a very light exposure suit (like a 1mm skin, or something similar), but I'd be prepared for something more like a 3/2 shorty -- some of the DMs (in the water a bunch day-in and day-out) wear a full 2 or a full 3/2.

If you run on the warm side, you can probably get away without a suit in Belize, though I think at least a thin full suit is always a good idea for protection. I'd still expect at least 80, which I personally would dive in a 1mm fullsuit or lycra skin but others would dive in 3mm or even more. Where are you from? (The local divemasters typically wear more than visitors because they are acclimated to the warm climate and water, what feels cold to them won't to most people from say, Canada.)

I'd expect the Keys to be getting somewhat cooler and going with no suit may be marginal.

Hi,

Florida isn't all that warm right now, and even in Belize, if you'll be doing several dives a day for more than couple of days, I'd definitely wear a wetsuit.

A 3mm wouldn't be too much for either (at least not for me).

Terry

I've done Belize in early Nov and the Keys in Late October. You can probably get away with no neoprene in Belize but not Florida. In Belize, just get out of the wet clothes and into dry stuff between dives. Stand in the sun to warm up and you should be fine.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

I'm playing it safe by buying a 3mm shorty. Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Water temp in Key Largo is currently 78-79 degrees, will be a few degrees cooler in December. At this time of year I wear a full 3mm, booties, gloves, hood. I generally do 4 dives per day. A little cooler and I switch the hood for a 5/3mm hooded vest and stay toasty. I generally stay pretty warm relative to many others, exposure protection is individual. Good luck

Florida isn't all that warm right now, and even in Belize, if you'll be doing several dives a day for more than couple of days, I'd definitely wear a wetsuit.

A 3mm wouldn't be too much for either (at least not for me).

Terry

I agree with this comment - several days of diving will wear down your tolerance to cold. If you are young and built like a bear you can probably get by in a skin but why be uncomfortable? You can't do much about the cold, and its effects accumulate with each dive, but if you are a too warm you merely let a little water into the wet suit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom