Do I need exposure suit for Belize or Florida Keys in Nov?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm playing it safe by buying a 3mm shorty. Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.
Playing it safe is a good idea. Since you're planning to buy a shorty, I would suggest you at least think about a full suit rather than a shorty. It provides more protection (total area covered) and is a bit more versatile - you will seldom be too hot, in the water in a full 3 mm, but you may be a bit cold in the Keys in a shorty. Just a thought. I have been cold in the Keys in December in a full 3mm, doing 4 dives / day.

Water temps in the gulf right now are in the high 60's. I wear a 5/4 myself this time of year along with a hood. With no suit at all I would think it could actually be dangerous depending on how low you stay down. In my opinion I would rather be too warm than too cold.

Hi,
I'm planning a dive trip to either Belize or Florida Keys in three weeks. Do I need to wear expose suit? I plan on diving 2 to 3 tanks per day. My body is generally on the warm side.

It depends on how you tolerate water temperature. At the moment the water in Southwest Florida is around 70 f

I just left Key Largo last week, and I dove in my typical NJ attire, 6.5mm Semi-Dry and I was comfortable throughout the day including five dives in one day. The people diving in a 3mm full suit were getting cold after the 2nd dive. I would strongly suggest a 5/4 as an option. It seems to be what the dive boat captains and mates were saying they dive in when the water starts to get colder. Have fun, there's plenty to see down there.

Hi,
I'm planning a dive trip to either Belize or Florida Keys in three weeks. Do I need to wear expose suit? I plan on diving 2 to 3 tanks per day. My body is generally on the warm side.

yes.......I would wear skins under a 2 mm shorty in Belize---you might need more in the Keys....call ahead & see what the water temp is in the Keys.....a 3/2 full might be perfect for the latter...

I am warm natured and would recomend a full 3 mil if you are doing repetitve dives in 80 degree water. My core temp was lowered on 3-5 dives a day in Cozumel and got a little chilled on a couple of dives while wearing a 4/3.

Back
Top Bottom