Question Do I need book screws if I’m using a wing + backplate without a STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on this subject can anyone explain why some book screws have an o ring on them (both sides, male and female) and others don't? Curious, as I want to get some book screws to see if I like them before experimenting with zip ties.... do the o rings matter? are they for grip to the backplate?

on this subject can anyone explain why some book screws have an o ring on them (both sides, male and female) and others don't? Curious, as I want to get some book screws to see if I like them before experimenting with zip ties.... do the o rings matter? are they for grip to the backplate?
I do not know this, but I can speculate that they could be useful to keep the steel screws heads from galvanically "welding" themselves to aluminum backplates.

Edit: DGX says "metal assembly screws include o-rings to help keep the screw in place."

The O-rings keep the screw from loosening like a lock washer.
So this past diving I removed the STA and and used book screws to hold everything together...That ended up being no issue...what was an issue was the regulator kept hitting my wife in the back of the head no matter how we moved the tank positioning. I put the sta back on and no issue anymore

Back
Top Bottom