Question Do I need book screws if I’m using a wing + backplate without a STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I run my cam bands through my single tank wing then attach the wing to the plate with book screws. Not all plates have slots for the bands, but if yours does and you don't plan on changing between single and double wings often, it should work, but I would rather use the book screws.

If I’m using cam bands do I need to use a book screw or is the cam bands enough to hold the wing and backplate together?
I don't bother with book screws.. the cam bands clamp the wing between the tank and the plate. The only potential negative of skipping the screws is if the cam band slots in the wing are long-ish, you have to pay attention to precise wing position before closing the cam bands.

Respectfully,

James

I tried both ways, and found it was easier for me to change tanks using the book screws. Once the tank straps were clamped down, there was no difference in tank stability. However, I found getting to that clamped position was a PITA without the book screws holding the wing to the backplate. Try both methods and see what works best for you.

I've never used them. No problems over various combinations of three plates and two wings.

Edit: I'm not suggesting it's superior (because I haven't tried it with the screws), just that it's doable.

I don't use the screws. I've built over a 100 set ups over the last 10 years for people. Some wanted them so I put them on. Soon though they ditched them. For convenience to keep from having to reposition the wing when switching tanks a zip tie works just as well, it easily removed, and doesn't leave a head that might come into contact with the cylinder. Depending on the wing and where the roll control ribs are if it has any, a cylinder might end up on the screw. No issue with a zip tie.
All of the plates and wings I've used and most that I have seen with slots, have 3 holes that align with the ones in the plate. Run the zip tie through two of them. Problem solved.

I don't use the screws. I've built over a 100 set ups over the last 10 years for people. Some wanted them so I put them on. Soon though they ditched them. For convenience to keep from having to reposition the wing when switching tanks a zip tie works just as well, it easily removed, and doesn't leave a head that might come into contact with the cylinder. Depending on the wing and where the roll control ribs are if it has any, a cylinder might end up on the screw. No issue with a zip tie.
All of the plates and wings I've used and most that I have seen with slots, have 3 holes that align with the ones in the plate. Run the zip tie through two of them. Problem solved.

^^^This is what I love about SB. Although I use bookscrews/SS bolts/nuts, I had not thought about using zip ties. Great idea!

I use the book screws because they keep everything lined up and make installing the rig onto the tank easier as a result. You do not need the fancy stainless steel screws, the plastic book screws will work just fine.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom