Do I need an STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it always necessary to use an STA with a backplate?

The STA displaces the tank away from me and with my Fred T. backplate(6 lbs) that is all I need nowadays for weight.

Will the tank straps endure a lot of wear without the STA?

Thanks
Mike

it's not as much a wear issue, as a 'tank can't balance on the bolt heads and will possibly be wobbly' issue, or a 'dammit, the slots on the wing & the ones on the plate don't line up well enough to just use cam straps' issue.

so if you don't have these issues, go for it! :wink:

Some wings have little gizmos like rods built in that will keep the wing from contacting the bolts. My OMS wing has 4 narrow "pillows" at the bolt locations which contact the tank. I have no wobble using DiveRite plate without a STA. DSS has these "wobble stoppers" on their wings designed to wrap the channel in the DSS plates while cradling the tank.

That was the dumbest post I have ever..posted.

Of course I need the STA-it is what has the recessed holes for the bolts..the backplate doesnt have it...the wing will just wobble around without it.

I should have thought more about this before posting...or better yet...LOOKED at the damn thing!!!.

Hey Buff,

You don't need to use the bolts if your cambands go thru your plate. Dive-Rite Makes a pastic (or a more expensive SS) screw that works fine holding the wing to the plate.
At Dive-Rite Express it is part# RP9502 Plastic TransPac Assembly Screw
(aka 'sex bolt') "

I've used them to hold a Pioneer wing (with the built in STA) to a Plate. Since then I've gone back to using a STA as I like it better.

buff:
That was the dumbest post I have ever..posted.

Of course I need the STA-it is what has the recessed holes for the bolts..the backplate doesnt have it...the wing will just wobble around without it.

I should have thought more about this before posting...or better yet...LOOKED at the damn thing!!!.
Are you saying the plate does not have slots for the cam straps?
That would be a horse of a different color.
Then yes, you need to bolt the STA (through the wing)to the plate and the cam straps will be run through the STA.
The same holes you use to bolt the STA to the plate however would be used to "fasten" the wing to the plate by itself without the STA.

I do have holes for the cam straps on the plate.

I am sure it would wobble as you say i.e. the bolts stick out(from the metal lined holes of the Dive Rite Rec wing) of the holes and against the tank. There would be essentialy two contact points against the tank-where the bolts protrude from the wing.

Anyway to make that contact more...well, more contacty?

I guess the force is not in the plane of the bolts so it's probably no big deal-right? What about wear into an aluminium tank from these stainless steel bolts?

Would the metal rings on the wing wear out?

I DO NOT want to haul that STA to Honduras this weekend! I did that when I went to Bora Bora and I swore I would never do it again.

buff:
I do have holes for the cam straps on the plate.

I am sure it would wobble as you say i.e. the bolts stick out(from the metal lined holes of the Dive Rite Rec wing) of the holes and against the tank. There would be essentialy two contact points against the tank-where the bolts protrude from the wing.

Anyway to make that contact more...well, more contacty?

I guess the force is not in the plane of the bolts so it's probably no big deal-right? What about wear into an aluminium tank from these stainless steel bolts?

Would the metal rings on the wing wear out?

I DO NOT want to haul that STA to Honduras this weekend! I did that when I went to Bora Bora and I swore I would never do it again.

Here's what I would suggest;

Don't bolt your wing to your plate at all. The bolt heads just cause wobble. Just use a little care lining up your tank, plate and wing before you cinch up the cambands. The cambands alone are more than enough to hold your wing onto your plate, there's no way the wing can leave the plate as long as your tank is in place.

Ths approach requires a little more attention when setting up your gear but's it's doable, beats carrying weight and parts you don't really need.

You should hope to get to dive enough to wear out any of your gear.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:

Don't bolt your wing to your plate at all.

Yes... that's the way to do it.

I don't know where the bolt thing got started. Oh, yah I do... right here on SB. In the old days we didn't bolt the two together. One day someone around here tried it and it caught on. Now everyone's doin' it. :no

I don't do it either way. I use a STA. Personally I never have any trouble taking a STA anywhere I go... and I go all over! Heck, I usually take at least two complete sets of gear. What's an extra 2.5 pounds. But... if you aren't into that... then do as Tobin suggested.

I do have one of FredT's gigantic one piece 6# STAs. That one stays at home if I fly!

cool_hardware52:

Don't bolt your wing to your plate at all. The bolt heads just cause wobble. Just use a little care lining up your tank, plate and wing before you cinch up the cambands. The cambands alone are more than enough to hold your wing onto your plate, there's no way the wing can leave the plate as long as your tank is in place.

Tobin
Tobin is correct, with a little work, you can get the wing sandwiched in there. This method also gives you the option of moving the wing up and down, depending on the size of the wing slots and location of plate slots. Using the bolts however will hold it all steady until you get it cinched up if you use them. You are at the mercy of the bolt holes in the plate and wing though. My OMS wing is presently bolted to my DR plate. Each only has one set of holes so I have no option in the wing placement.
Don't remember from your original post if you have a wing yet. If you go STAless, consider a wing with the rods or pillows to hold the tank off the bolts.
I can mount my tank and wing without bolts if I have a nice stable surface. I normaly do multiple dives off rocking boat decks, so that tank change out is easier if the wing is bolted to the plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom