Do I Need an Environmentally Sealed 1st Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Shopping for a new reg set to replace my Sherwood set purchased from my LDS' rental stock over ten years ago.

Wondering how much I need an environmentally sealed 1st stage. I'll never do any cold water diving (never more than a 5 mil wetsuit), and I'll take at most two trips a year in tropical warm water climates. I saw a post recently where someone said an environmentally sealed reg was essential to keep salt out of the first stage.

Also, I've been looking at the Scabapro MK11. Is this a sealed regulator? Their website says "Its system features internal parts that are sealed from the elements"

Thanks!

No.
Most regulators are not sealed. They work fine. If you were looking at ice diving, I would recommend sealed. But for what you describe your diving, and your location, sealed is wasted money up front and more cost when you service it.

I just bought a new Sherwood Magnum from leisure pro because my Magnum was getting old (30 yrs), I had the money, I know Sherwood's work, and it was a good deal. If the reg served you well, why change?

Edit for adding link
Sherwood Scuba Regulators buy at LeisurePro

Bob

Last edited:
The MK11 is not environmentally sealed so water, dirt etc will get into the ambient chamber, with proper post dive rinsing this is not at issue at all. For warm water diving the MK11 is a good little first stage. The ip can swing quite a lot from full to empty tank but with a balanced second stage this isn't an issue, likely not with an unbalanced second either as long as it's not tuned to the edge.

I have both Sealed and not sealed first stages.

I cannot find any reason to buy one that is not sealed, even if you do not dive in sub 10 degrees water. As faar as I see its no backside with sealed regulators today, and the difference in cost are marginal.

That said, I use unsealed first stages when travel, mostly from using old first stages, Conshelf SEA and Poseidons with Yoke connector. But when buying new today i would never buy an unsealed.

No.
Most regulators are not sealed. They work fine. If you were looking at ice diving, I would recommend sealed. But for what you describe your diving, and your location, sealed is wasted money up front and more cost when you service it.
Most Apeks regs are sealed. The sealed version cost more but there is no difference in service charge because the service kit is the same.

I use a US4 for travel as it's small and with a chrome yoke knob I found, looks way cool with my conshelf 14s. Indestructible and stupid simple to service, the set. Local diving mine are all sealed.

In the Scubapro line, the MK-17 is the only sealed regulator. BTW, your Sherwood is sealed.

I am in the minority here, but to me sealed makes no difference unless you are diving in cold or dirty water. The vast majority of first stages in use are unsealed, there is not a problem with them. People claim you do not need to rinse them well after a dive but I don't understand the reasoning as the second stages are not sealed, so they need to be soaked anyway. Also sealing does nothing to prevent salt water from entering the filter which is a much bigger problem.

I just bought a new Sherwood Magnum from leisure pro because my Magnum was getting old (30 yrs), I had the money, I know Sherwood's work, and it was a good deal. If the reg served you well, why change?
Good point Bob. I'm thinking the same thing as I get information overload while shopping the various brands and features. Did you get the Magnum or Magnum Pro?

The MK11 is not environmentally sealed so water, dirt etc will get into the ambient chamber, with proper post dive rinsing this is not at issue at all. For warm water diving the MK11 is a good little first stage. The ip can swing quite a lot from full to empty tank but with a balanced second stage this isn't an issue, likely not with an unbalanced second either as long as it's not tuned to the edge.
Thanks Buddha. I thought the MK11 was a balanced 1st stage? Would I be OK pairing the MK11 with the S560?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom