Do I need a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What for...warm water...I don't normally have a suit if the water is above 75....but then again I live in Ohio. Warm is 75, and good viz is 20 feet. But I would at least suggest some form of exposure protection for stings from jelly-fish, fire coral, etc.

Walter once bubbled...
... The other half of the year, unless you get cold easily, a swim suit is plenty.

Elemental exposure protection should be warn at all times whatever the temperature - with special considering to personal protection from aquatic/marine life and the environment. Even if said material consists of nothing more than nylon material on arms and legs. As for professional role model behavior - IMO - never set an example for new divers or student divers by going in with nothing more than a bathing suit. Bad example.

michaelp68
I suggest for comfort and a solid fit buy your suit before you go - even if you don't plan to go regularly. If you wait and a rental won't fit, you'll be at the mercy of last-minute-on-the-island- shopping, where greedy shop owners know they have you over a barrel. Not to mention all the precious vacation time that might be blown hunting down a good fit and trying stuff on.

Michaelp68
I go to Florida in February often, usually Ft. Laurderdale. We'll go out on a charter, it may be 70 deg. on the surface. During a surface interval it seems most of the people on the boat are huddled in the rear trying to get out of the breeze, their cold. This enevitably makes them cold for the next dive as well. I, on the other hand am in a dry suit. Smileing now, because moments before the dive I was the butt of their jokes, an extremist, a wuss perhaps. In any event I'm laughing now........Shorty wet suits can be had for $50.00. You'll spend that on junk food in 6 months, treat your self.
Wreck/Tec

Repeptitive dives, especially over a course of a few days, tend to get you hipothermic.

I did not dive in Aruba, but for the Red sea I have a full 3mm suit and a vest that I use when I start getting cold.

Cold will make you more tired, cut your dives short and might even get you to skip dives after a couple of days.

A suit will also protect you from other nasties in the water.

My advise would be to hae your neopren handy and use it as you feel fit.

Ari :)

...if you own it, you use it more often. Maybe if you go ahead & buy more complete gear after your cert class, you will dive on more occasions (ie, business trip to CA; may as well get some dives in!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom