Do I need a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've gone scuba diving at resorts in the past.
Now, I'm going to become fully certified for open water diving.
I'll be at Aruba in February.

Should I buy a wetsuit, either for Aruba or for future dives?

I anticipate that I might dive once or twice a year, at most. It'll be in the waters of the Caribbean or possibly off of the Florida coast.

Thank you.

If rental suits fit properly, then no you don't need to buy one. Lots of people do (they can't stand the thought of other people peeing in a wetsuit they'll be renting, or they need to sew on pockets), but if you change size significantly it can be a waste of money.

Your choice, of course. Many people put other parts of the gear at a much higher priority (myself included)

Hope you end up diving more than twice a year :)

jeff

Maybe you could buy just a thin wetsuit, like a .5 mil. That way you will be protected from the stinging stuf fin the water.

My 2c.
You certainly don't need to own a wetsuit, if rentals work for you. 3.5 mil shorties are pretty cheap though, and you get to know whos peed in it. If you don't change shape dramatically year to year it's worth it IMO.

I dove in Aruba a year ago in a full 3mm suit - I was pretty warm. A shorty would be a pretty good option....... not all that expensive. I would rather have my own than rent.........

SS

I'd just rent if you're only going to use it twice a year. I rented gear for a while before I bought my own stuff. I'd invest in a cheap but decent regulator though. Some of the stuff in the Carribean is pretty shotty. You'll feel better knowing the history of the reg before you dive.

A reg would be my priority even if you'll only dive twice a year. It keeps you alive. A wetsuit doesn't. If you have the cash I'd buy a wetsuit as well - a 3mm full suit. It will (a) protect you from anything that stings and (b) if you dive more than once a day you will lose less body heat. In 80f water that might not a problem but on the third dive of the day you will notice the difference.

I can't speak for Aruba, but if you dive in Florida, you'll need a wetsuit from November through May. The other half of the year, unless you get cold easily, a swim suit is plenty.

I would recommend getting a good 3mm full suit. This is a very good choice for a versitile multi-use suit. As others have pointed out, this way you know that no one but you has spread any "warm water love" in the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom