Do I need a P-valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you not have a p-valve ? You know you need to hydrate, you know you need to pee.

I have a boss that is the last off the boat and pushes you out of the way when he gets back on. Get over it ! Put in a p-valve !

don O

If there were ANY way on earth I could make a p-valve work for me at an acceptable risk, I'd have one. Why not? You don't HAVE to use it, but on longer dives, you have the option. Avoiding the brisk waddle out of the water and the frantic drysuit teardown would be well worth it.

What about the male plumbing required for a p-valve? All the catheters (sp), adhesive, etc?! Is that not: a) time consuming, b) unpleasant, c) weird, d) painful?!

Read THIS. It will answer all your questions :D

For recreational dives I don't see a great need. I can last an hour without going to the bathroom when I'm not diving and I can do the same when I am diving. I try to stay hydrated whether I'm diving or not but I don't try to do it all 5 minutes before I get in the water. I do go to the bathroom just before a dive just in case. For longer dives I can see the need. If you have a healty bladder and stay away from caffeine I don't see a big problem.

If there were ANY way on earth I could make a p-valve work for me at an acceptable risk, I'd have one. Why not? You don't HAVE to use it, but on longer dives, you have the option. Avoiding the brisk waddle out of the water and the frantic drysuit teardown would be well worth it.

A p-valve is an unnecessary failure point, whereas Depends cannot fail.

Even so, TSM, I am sure you could find a female catheter at any hospital?

Then with a razor and some duct tape you could make it work, if determined. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom