Do I need a guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
we are flying to SF tonight and will be diving in Monterey on Saturday. Do I really need a guide to dive in the bay?

I do not have much experience Diving in cold water. I have no experience with kelp (below the water). and never met a sea lion and have never been to Monterey before. I do however have my California citizens green card, I was born at orange county hospital and grew up in Laguna Beach (till I was 9) so the Governator should not chase me off:D.

We did not book a boat trip because I was unsure my wife was going to like the cold water, should I reconsider this or will the local shore diving be ok for a couple of Caribbean divers. :D

As a local DM, I would have to say your post has few red flags which would indicate to me that you definitely need a guide. Plus, its always good to have someone with you to show you around a dive site with which you are not familiar.

I do not have much experience Diving in cold water.

...a couple of Caribbean divers.

It would be best to hook-up with someone with experience so they could show you the best dive spots.

It seems strange about the no cold water or kelp, but you are listed as an instructor.

Someone in the NorCal section should be able to meet you in Monterey or Carmel and take you diving.

It's cold water. You'll need a lot of neoprene or a drysuit, even for shore diving.

As for needing a guide? Well, unless you're meeting up with someone you know, or feel comfortable with insta-buddies, you should probably hire a local guide. If you hang out at the usual spots, (Breakwater, McAbee, Coral Street, Monastery, etc.) you'll likely have the option of an insta-buddy.

It's supposed to be FLAT this weekend, so waves/swells should not be much of a problem.

I'd take you out, but I already have a commitment on Saturday.

Yup, live in Texas, I went diving in California once in about 1986 and do not remember much, about 250 Caribbean ocean dives in the last 4 years (heavily weighted to the last 2 years).

Wife is not sure about the cold water, the coldest our lakes get is about 50° and yall dive dry, so while I have no expectation of any problem with or without a guide I would like to have opinions on the value a guide might provide.

Just confirmed a guide through bamboo something dive shop. :)

What I really need help in, is it is my wifes birthday, and I need a great restaurant in Monterey that is not great because it is the most expensive, but is great because the food and the atmosphere is the best and most fun.:D

I recommend Chart House in Monterey

Chart House - Monterey, CA

And do order the Chocolate lava cake in advance if she likes chocolate/lava cakes/both
They also have a nice window seats of the ocean/shoreline at night too for dinning at night. Try to reserve one of those tables if possible.

or

Patisserie Boissiere in Carmel. If they have any pear tarts left, grab them, or reserve them ahead of time via phone.

Patisserie Boissiere Restaurant & Patisserie - Carmel, CA

+1 on the Chart House if you're in Monterey.

If you meander down Highway 1, about 25 miles south of Carmel will be Nepenthe's restaurant. Along with one of the most beautiful drives in all of California, the food is fantastic. Bring your camera. The restaurant overlooks the Pacific ocean, 800 ft up. The view is stunning.

Did I mention that the food is fantastic?

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

+1 on Nepenthe. I can't put into words how great the whole operation is. From the restaurant, to the service to the food and the view, everything goes together to make an unforgettable experience.

If you want great food at a casual restaurant you might try Hula's. Hula's Monterey Good food, good drinks & it is next door to Bamboo Reef, so you should be able to find it. :D

Back
Top Bottom