Do I have "gullible" written across my forehead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Nice website Sunshine...
Uhhh... hmmm.... I'm not really here in the ladies' section....
I... was... just hitting the new posts and....
Scuseme....

UP, we don't mind you guys looking in to see what is going on. These may be about issue on the female side, but most of us like to hear what the males have to say

Originally posted by SunshineFish
I walked out really disappointed at the whole experience. I expect this kind of behavior when I take my car to the mechanic, but not at a dive store. :mean:

I hope this hasn't happened to anyone else. Sometimes I feel that being female, people try to take advantage of me (and my credit card).

I am a Master Certified Automotive Technician, and it always hurts to hear this. No I don't work on vehicles any longer, but it is terrible that there is so much angst and animosity directed towards the lowly mechanic. Unfortunately, it only takes one or two bad apples to sour you to the whole bunch. The biggest problem I saw was NOT with the technician, but with the owner/manager of the facility. In the thirty years in the field (fifteen in management), I only fired two technicians for falsifying work, and reccomending non needed repairs. This continued to be a topic of interest till I quit, and it was well known that I would NOT tolerate pigs in my employ. People will work to the expectation of their superiors... its true in diving as well. If you don't expect much from a class you will get just that!

My sister was car shopping and found the car of her dreams... she asked me to check it out and the first thing I did was to call and confirm the price. Over the phone they offered me $1850 less. My sister and I went to the store and she walked out saving over $2500. They couldn't deal with the bad publicity. Ladies... start screaming when they do this to you! Have a guy friend shop the same place and it there is ANY variance crucify the bastards. There is no need for this type of chauvinism to exist!!!!!!! I pity the fool that takes advantage of my daughter! (or wife, or son) ...and like the Pugster... I ain't here :tease:

Well, I am glad that you and Uncle are here as you all have always provided much insight (and wit and humor). :)

I really didn't mean to imply that ALL mechanics are rip-offs. Just voicing my experience thus far. There are definately bad seeds and then there are the honest ones. I have not personally met an honest one yet. But when I owned my car, I did not know many people who did so there was no hope for referrals at the time. I went to college a thousand miles from home and had to deal with buying a car on my own as well as taking it to the shop a couple times. I did all my research on-line about my purchase price and as much as I would have loved to have a guy with me, it was not possible with our class schedules. So here were 2 college girls who walk into car dealerships and though armed with the Book price and even knowing the percent of appropriate mark-up, I still got spiels about how my research didn't take into account this nor that. So Dad made a little call as I was about to sign the papers and voila, the price suddenly dropped a thousand or so. How do you think that made me feel? What does that say about how I was viewed?

Originally posted by NetDoc

I am a Master Certified Automotive Technician, and it always hurts to hear this...

...My sister was car shopping and found the car of her dreams... she asked me to check it out and the first thing I did was to call and confirm the price. Over the phone they offered me $1850 less. My sister and I went to the store and she walked out saving over $2500. They couldn't deal with the bad publicity. Ladies... start screaming when they do this to you! Have a guy friend shop the same place and it there is ANY variance crucify the bastards. There is no need for this type of chauvinism to exist!!!!!!! I pity the fool that takes advantage of my daughter! (or wife, or son) ...and like the Pugster... I ain't here :tease:

well to a degree. All my training has been with SSI, but I have buddied with a Padi diver and I would think some others.. don't really ask who they got there training from, just interested in how comfortable they are in the water doing the type diving we are doing.

In my opinion it would sound to me like someone was trying there best to make a big sale so there check would be better. Could be wrong, but also could be right.

Sorry for your bad encounter with a knothead, not all SSI Dive centers or Instructors are like that. Hope you keep diving and gain even more knowledge and training you want.

Rich :mean:

Everybody's resonating with me on this one.

That's why I send all my friends to the YMCA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom