Do I have "gullible" written across my forehead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunshineFish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to share a story about something that happened to me. I had almost completely forgotten about the incident but today it suddenly popped back into my mind when a salesperson tried to pull a fast one over me at work...

A while back, I stopped by a LDS to find out information about joining their dive club and possibly diving around the NY/NJ area. I had been PADI certified for about 6 months. This particular DS specializes in SSI instruction. The DS guy talked about the wonderful world of wreck diving around our area (which I don't doubt) and then basically tried to convince me that if I wanted to dive with them, I should get "re-certified" and carry SSI certification by attending their classroom sessions and re-doing my OW dives with them. Of course, they would give me an oh-so-special course price of $600 plus rental of dive gear. Then he asked me what equipment I had (at this time, I only had mask, fins, booties, and snorkel) and told me that my gear was unsuitable for the conditions up here. Hello! He didn't even SEE my gear and made that assumption. :nono: Inexperienced as I was, in no way did I believe that my basic gear was unsuitable. I patiently (though steaming underneath my composure :fury: ) sat through everything that he said just to see what else he would dish at me and how much my total expenditure would be were I to listen to him.

I walked out really disappointed at the whole experience. I expect this kind of behavior when I take my car to the mechanic, but not at a dive store. :mean:

I hope this hasn't happened to anyone else. Sometimes I feel that being female, people try to take advantage of me (and my credit card).

Sunshine

unfortunately this is not unheard of, and no it's not 'cause you're female. I've had male friends tell me the same thing. Around this neck of the woods it's mostly the PADI /NAUI thing, but it also happens (occasionally) between shops. A poor way to do business if you ask me.

I can understand them asking the instructing staff to wear & promote the kit that the store sells, but customers????? geesh

Bad business practices are not just directed at females. What I have found is that shady characters in business don't care which sex you happen to be.

As for the "expected when I take my car to the mechanic" mentality is exactly why I have recently quit working on cars after 12 years. I got so sick of people and their attitudes before I even touched their car that I quit. I never lied to anyone or ever tried to do something that was not needed. People have such an attitude in advance though, that I got tired of dealing with them. I now have a job in the main warehouse for the same company and am so much happier not having to deal with people anymore.

Later, Hawk.

Normally I try not to reply to something that I have written, but I need to publicly say I am sorry to SunshineFish. I did not need to go off because of what she wrote. This was an error in judgement on my part. I do not condone bad business practices by anyone. Having a pre-disposition to people trying to rip you off is only human the way people act to other people nowdays. This is the reason I feel the way I do about employees earning commission on sales. My personal opinion on this was covered in another thread about that subject matter.

Once again, I am sorry for the way I acted here.

Later, Hawk.

Hawk,

I don't think you were out of line. Unfortunatly people (both males and females) have the attitude they do because this kind of thing happens. It is a vicious cycle in that people have to have this attitude in order to protect themselves from the few unsavory people that would take advantage of them which means they end up having this attitude toward people that are honest due to previous experence. Is this right? Probably not but if you don't protect yourself who will. The only thing you can do is get to know who you are doing business with and develop a trust with them after time. I wish that this wasn't how it was but the unsavory few out there ruin it for the honest ones.

Chad

shame that SunShineFish had to go thru that experience and that most women have to be abused by unmoral service people... It seems that females are targets and have a big "S" on their forheads. My wife experienced something of the same at a car dealers and with one phone call from me it was straightened out, but why....Hawk, although I understand where you are coming from I don't like to hear that kind of noise re commissioned sales persons...There are scumbuckets in every profession...commission based or not............

You might want to read a post of mine in the "opinionated LDS" thread from a while back.

I had a PADI instructor tell me that my NAUI instructor had someone die in his class, (not true) and that he didn't have any warranties on his equipmet, (not true) and that I better take my classes over again from him or else I would probably die from poor instruction. (the police, fire dept., paramedics, and sheriffs office all take lessons from my instructor, not him). Funny, huh?

Hi SunshineFish,

I also live in NYC. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the name of the place? I did my PADI certification course elsewhere, but I am taking a trip to the Caribbean next month to do my Advanced Open Water course, and was thinking that I should buy a mask and shortie that actually fit (very small face and frame) before I go. My mask leaked the entire time during my last course, requiring me to learn purging early, and the shorty had enough loose material in the middle for me to fit an NBA regulation basketball (but was nonetheless very snug across the hips and chest). I was planning on shopping locally, so I could try things on before I go. And I don't want to end up with this guy, who sounds as smarmy as they come.

If you aren't comfortable sharing the info, mabye you could recommend a place for me to go look at shorties and masks?

Thanks,

Jena

Hi Jena,

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I sent you a PM with the name of the dive store to avoid.

Stores I like:
I have always had a good experience at Pan Aqua (43rd and 10th Ave) - the owner and staff are very friendly and informative. I do find them a little pricey but it is New York and they are consistent with MSRPs. Scuba Network (I only know of the one on 57th and Lex) is also good. My favorite is Leisure Pro though (18th and 5th Ave) because of their prices - you can also try things on there. If you get a good salesperson, he will really stay with you and help you with your selections.

I created a webpage: www.geocities.com/nydiving which has a list of more stores in NYC.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom